Brown Constuction Paper --- Builders Paper

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
I'm googling the beejeezus but cannot see to find what this is.

I saw builders paper - stuff you use to tape on floor for temp protections, etc.
This one is really NICE. Kinda like the brown paper tapes -- meaning it's got the fiberglass strands running through it (just without the glue).

Anyone know what this stuff is called...

Chefwong

Reaction score
It's not red rosin paper - or brown. Close but better....
It's slightly thicker but has the fiberglass running through it (similar to brown packing tape).

Hard to explain due to the ~glass~ but it's nice stuff

MrChaos

Reaction score
I use "standard dry sheathing." Usually found with the roofing materials. Costs under $15 for a 400 sq ft roll.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Sorry guys.

What you need is not craft paper, rosin paper, building paper or anything with paper in the name.

It's called "Ram Board" and the stuff rocks.

I have used it for years and have yet to damage a clients floors. In Vancouver I buy my rolls at Dicks Lumber.

Love this video. The Ram Board You Tube Channel has tons of great videos showing the uses for it. They have a great facebook page as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chefwong

Reaction score
Thanks. Indeed it was reinforced kraft paper.

Ram Board looks interesting. What's a roll of that stuff running.
Moreso......what *protection* product do you use for tubs....temporary spray on solution.....
Been looking at the paint on temp tub protection

Chefwong

Reaction score
Too bad it's got all that crazy branding on the paper....

I've using the kraft paper to draw out where the furniture, appliances are. It's kinda like one big brown slate where I am making lifesize markups...without the branding all over the face....

$60 seems like a steal if it's truely somewhat waterproof-water resistent...

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
One thing to remember about using protection like this is any debris under the board can get ground into the floor. We sweep, vac and then wipe down the floors. By taping the entire floor off you run no risk of fading over extended periods os floor protection.

Also you would not cover a freshly layed floor since the wood finish would need to cure.

With a tile floor again there is a lot of moisture that wants to escape. Better to lay the protection down as needed and then pull it back up at days end.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Thanks JW for the link.
Ended up using a combo of both Ram and Reinforced Kraft.
Ramboard for areas where there is still WIP - Work in Progress.
The remainder just for general floor protection till the project is officially over.
ram.jpg

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
You installed it the wrong way around! You need to make sure that Ram Board logo is right side up in any pictures. LOL

What did you cover?

Ramboard is water resistant so make sure your not trapping moisture under there. If you can don't tape the seems of Ram Board when using it over fresh tile.

Often we will lift it up at the end of the day.

Over hardwood floors and such no problem unless it is a glue down.

JW

Chefwong

Reaction score
It went over a fresh tile job but the tile has had time to breath and cure for a good 2 weeks. It's been grouted with Epoxy, so the only breathing edges it had prior to the protection is the edges at most...

The logos on my Ram Board state that while it's water resister, it's also Vapour Permeable which in theory, infers it can be laid over *green* mud unless I am misreading it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks