Broken screw on overflow plate

Users who are viewing this thread

som

Reaction score
I know I know this is such a common thing to see but I am genuinely lost when it comes to mine because it looks nothing like any of the multiple ones I have read about

I noticed my overflow plate in guest bathroom looked loose and dingy so went to remove it and it came off incredibly easy (I assume the yellow in the photo was some sort of glue holding it on)...ok getting to the point

Upon looking more into what I would need to replace the cover I found that there is a beyond rusty broken screw left in it

It is hard to tell in photos but there is a little bit sticking out keeping it from being completely flat against the hole--what is best way to remove or even hack a new one? It definitely doesn't have to be a perfect solution just something so that this unsightly hole is covered

IMG-1934-heic.jpg
IMG-1933-heic.jpg
IMG-1936-heic.jpg

Ps is this normal for them to look this disgusting or is this one just gone beyond repair?

Signed, someone who clearly got in over her head as usual

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Probably you will need to drill a hole in the middle of the screw and use an extractor to get it out. Go slow with a sharp drill bit and use cutting oil so as not to generate heat. Stuff a rag under it in case the drill bit pushes the metal down the drain.

Your chances of that working depends on whether the screw sticks out the backside and corroded. You might want to stuff some wicking fabric under it and let it soak for a while with a rust dissolving agent.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would try grabbing that rusty stub tightly with the tip of a good smaller locking pliers. Probably won't grab, but it seems worth a try before drilling.
milwaukee-locking-pliers-48-22-3607-64_100.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Someone has tried to rig that one several times.. The rusty screw was someones bad fix. The gorilla glue was their fix after the screw failed.

Just by attempting to drill that out, you will likely force it through the other end of the plastic threads before you ever get an easy out on it.

Its probably too deep to get a dremel to cut a slot in it to use a slotted screwdriver.

But either way, have a magnet in the tube or some other rag or something to prevent it from falling down the overflow into the trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks