Brass Compression Coupling

Users who are viewing this thread

Cscjjd

Reaction score
Hi,
I will be buying a 5" brass compression coupling to re-join two sections of 3/4" copper pipe (which is my water supply into the house). I'd like to know what preparation should I do to the pipe before installing the coupling. Also, any buying tips would be appreciated (brands I should avoid, etc.)?
Thanks!

compression coupling.png

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lets start with some more information. Where is the copper pipe located? Inside the house or outside in the ground? Is the copper pipe hard drawn or soft anealed? Why are you coupling it together? Did it break, was it crushed or was it cut with a tool? Why are you wanting to use compression rather than soldering?

GReynolds929

Reaction score
That's a dresser coupling, I don't trust them. you should use an actual compression coupling like This, or a sharkbite like mentioned earlier.

Reach4

Reaction score
Use Sharkbite U3016LF

Get the gap between pipes right.

Cscjjd

Reaction score
Lets start with some more information. Where is the copper pipe located? Inside the house or outside in the ground? Is the copper pipe hard drawn or soft anealed? Why are you coupling it together? Did it break, was it crushed or was it cut with a tool? Why are you wanting to use compression rather than soldering?
The location is down in a 9"x14" concrete box sunk into the driveway. The house side is coming from the foundation, the supply side from under the concrete driveway so there is no movement available in either pipe. A fitting was leaking so I am replacing it. Both pipes are tool cut. I don't about the type of copper. Thanks.

Cscjjd

Reaction score
That's a dresser coupling, I don't trust them. you should use an actual compression coupling like This, or a sharkbite like mentioned earlier.
Thanks - is the difference between a dresser coupling and an actual compression coupling the type of seal used (EDPM vs. metal)?
Also, I think I read someplace (or was told) that since it is underground (sorry I didn't mention this in the first post) it would rule out using a true compression fitting?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
One plumbing contractor sent a so called mechanic to repair a leak.

The idiot on a Friday afternoon was in a hurry and used a 11/2 dresser coupling on a hot water riser and the dresser failed (big surprise) and not only caused a major the hot water scalded a lady and did thousands of dollars in damages.

The only Dresser I ever use is insulated dresser as required by the local gas utility and that pressure very seldom exceeds 1/2 PSI

Have you considered a copper slip coupling? They do come in various lengths

Sioux Chief 600-312PK, 3/4" Sweat Full Slip ...​

1710546431375.png
PexUniverse
https://www.pexuniverse.com › sioux-chief-3-4-sweat-f...

This full slip coupling is a 12" long piece of 7/8" copper pipe, designed to fit over regular 3/4" copper pipe (with 7/8" OD).

Cscjjd

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the responses - you gave me some things to reconsider and some new things to consider.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks