not having much luck with slow drip on 3/4 copper/brass compression union

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr Blint

Reaction score
Although the alignment of the pipes is good, my 3/4 copper + brass compression unions are leaking. A single drip every five minutes or so. Three of them have this issue. There's no visible damage on any of them. I've loosened and retightened the threads on all of them and one eventually stopped dripping. This is on a whole-house water-filtration system. Can a dab of teflon paste be placed on the concave surface of the brass fitting?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
A lot of imported fittings are crap and they do leak.

A lot of "old timers" used joint compound on the male flair of a gas connector. You have nothing to lose by trying it

By the way why filter water that is being used for the toilets? Some places use a dedicated like for sprinklers /toilets etc.

Mr Blint

Reaction score
A lot of imported fittings are crap and they do leak.

A lot of "old timers" used joint compound on the male flair of a gas connector. You have nothing to lose by trying it

By the way why filter water that is being used for the toilets? Some places use a dedicated like for sprinklers /toilets etc.
I had in mind mainly to protect the valves for the clothes washer and dishwasher, and keeping the water-hammer arresters from failing because of limescale buildup, and keeping the air release valve on the boiler from getting clogged with it. But we also have a lot of iron in the water and the toilets do get stained with that, so even they could benefit. These whole-house filtration systems aren't expensive, under $100, with maybe another $75 per year in filter costs.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The ferrules on compression fittings leak less with dope on them. It mainly helps them slide into a seated position. None on the threads or the pipe, just the ferrule.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you think the leaking occurs at the mating surface of the union, and you are probably right. But also check to see if there is leakage between the copper pipe and the compresion fittings. If there is leakage at the pipes, tighten the leaking compression fitting maybe 1/8 turn... Two wrenches. Longer wrenches are better to a point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks