Brand new Delta 1400 Series Shower valve with a leak... Ugh.

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by mjm6, Apr 18, 2015.

1. mjm6

mjm6 New Member

Folks,

I installed a new Delta shower valve a day ago and did a pressure test on the lines. All good on the solder joints, etc.

However, it appears that the cartridge, seals, or the brass housing has a problem, because there is a slow drip on the shower head.

I've taken the cartridge apart to check the seals and springs, and looked for grit in the housing, but can't find anything that would clearly be the source.

What it the most likely culprit for the leak? The rubber seals? The O-Rings? the housing? I've got to see about getting a return or something, but I don't want to disassemble the whole setup if it is a simple cartridge or seals issue.

Thanks,

---Michael

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    On the last one I installed, when looking at it carefully, there were some scratches on the SS plate that creates the seal. A new cartridge solved the problem. IF you look carefully at the seals, make sure none of them are cut and that they are seated properly.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. mjm6

mjm6 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I talked to the vendor and then swapped out the cartridge. Looks like that was the problem, even though I could see no damage or problems in the manufacture. Thankfully, that saves me from having to pull out the housing and re-solder an new one in, which would have been a real hassle.

---Michael