Braided dishwasher drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

Friolator

Reaction score
Does such a thing exist? I'm talking about a drain hose that's wrapped in metal like a supply line.

A few years ago we had a mouse that chewed through the drain line that came with our Jenn-Air dishwasher, and you can imagine the mess when the ceiling in our rental unit downstairs got ruined. I ended up replacing it with a similar hose because that's all I could find at the time.

The dishwasher recently died and we're getting a new Bosch this weekend. While I'm in there hooking this thing up, I'd like to replace the drain line with something that will last even in the event of future rodent attacks. Can't find anything online or in stores though, other than reinforced hoses (but I don't think those would keep a mouse from chewing through).

Can I get something like this anywhere?

Thanks!

Asktom

Reaction score
Depending on what turns you need to make, you might be able to get by with 1/2 nominal copper, either L soft or ridgid with soldered fittings with a short chunk of hose and a couple clamps on each end.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
He is looking for a heavy duty drain hose. The first recommendation is a dish washer supply and not what he asked for. That was a boo boo. The other hoses are large enough diameter that they could be used for a dish washer drain hose. The washing machine hose could be easily adapted as a drain hose and they are not too expensive. They can be somewhat stiff and difficult to make tight bends. The fuel pump hose and the hydraulic hose could be adapted but they are very stiff and somewhat expensive for a project like this. I think a mouse would have a difficult time chewing through any of them and that is what he wanted.

Here are some high performance Stainless Steel Braided heater Hoses:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/1009...7&cadevice=c&gclid=CMnI87uf58sCFcYlgQodzkIJRQ

Last edited:

Friolator

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't seen the dishwasher in person yet but if it's anything like the others I've installed there will be at least three fairly right bends, from the connection tat the bottom of the dishwasher up around the top and into the cabinet under the sink.

The sleeve looks promising, though. If
It can make those corners that might do the trick.

Daniel ward

Reaction score
Ok here is what you do. Get you a hose repair fitting, barbed to male hose thread. If you are using the corrugated drain line the barbed end will fit tight inside, hose clamps on each end, then get a woven stainless washer supply line hose and connext both ends, thats it.

Michael Ruggieri

Reaction score
Ok here is what you do. Get you a hose repair fitting, barbed to male hose thread. If you are using the corrugated drain line the barbed end will fit tight inside, hose clamps on each end, then get a woven stainless washer supply line hose and connext both ends, thats it.
Sounds like good advice so I did that - now the dishwasher won’t drain at all.

mike paulson

Reaction score
Answer to your prayers. Braided metal hose protector (sleeve)
I like this suggestion, though not the price, thanks. the drain hose needs to be able to loop up to the sink and back down to prevent back-flow, so the mesh wrap should work well unless the expletive rodent chews the end connections.

Mliu

Reaction score
I doubt you will find any drain hose that is covered with stainless braid. And nylon braid certainly won't stop a rodent. But you can buy stainless braid hose covers. Here's one for automobile radiator hoses (1-1/2" to 2" diameter) that should be large enough to fit over the boot on the end of a dishwasher drain hose. It won't matter if the hose is loose inside the braid, the important thing is that mice won't be able to get to the hose. This braided sheath is 6' long:

https://amzn.to/3kNW5qt

braided-repair-cover.jpg

This braided sheath is $28.47 which is a LOT cheaper than the cost of repairing water damage!

Put a couple of stainless hose clamps on each end to keep it secured to the drain hose and to prevent mice from getting inside the braid.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks