Bone Char Media - mesh size

Users who are viewing this thread

Ndx

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I seen very similar post about GAC, Thx to Dittohead I have lined up supplier for the filtering system.
But I think I will be supplying Bone Char myself.

Here are the available sizes:

5x8
6x14
6x30
8x24
8x30
20x60

What size should I use for my 2cu back wash tank ...

Thx

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
This is a difficult one to answer in a forum, I dont want the headache of a bunch of people disagreeing with me so I will simply say the 8x30 mesh should be adequate for your application. I dont want to go into the details, please send me an email if you want more details. This is one of those topics that brings out the crazies. :)

Tismark

Reaction score
From what I have researched, what has undergone testing as to it's effectiveness, the 8x24 is what was used. It was shown to be most effective when used by itself as the active absorption media. A very fine mesh to keep any particles from escaping, then washed fine sand, then the Bone Char and finally another layer of sand (larger particles) on the inlet side followed by a a very fine mesh to catch the sand and if you are back-washing to try to get more out of it before replacing the char, it might make the backwash more effective. That being said, no other sizes of particles were in the testing data that I read. A larger size of particle might be harder to contain and keep from getting into your water (so you might want to let the water run through the filter for awhile just to wash out the smallest particles that may end up contaminating your fluoride reduced water, and a larger particle size might be more effective or less effective at reducing fluoride, etc. One important thing is that the water spend some time around the particles of char before going through the filter, giving the char time to absorb contaminants. If the water flow is somewhat slower going through to be cleaned than the backwash water, (then you hopefully have kept the medium size particles in your tank), and perhaps those are the ones you want to keep :). Also, there is a manufacturer of char that I found the name of by reading the reviews of a bone char sold on Amazon who has a sample of that size they will sell for less than $10. (So you could get an idea of how fine the 8x24 is). But this is an old post and I'm sure you are well on the way to filtering!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks