Bonding/grounding consideration for outdoor light on steel mast

Users who are viewing this thread

ApexKeith

Reaction score
In the scenario described below, other than connecting the fixture and junction box to the circuit ground wire, are there any special considerations for lightning protection or outdoor application? Is GFCI protection required or advised for this light tapping into the septic alarm circuit?

I am wanting to install a 50W LED outdoor flood light atop a rigid conduit mounted to a 4x4 wood post. The post is already securely anchored to the ground and rises to a height of 9'. I want to strap a 10-foot 3/4" rigid steel conduit to the 4x4 and have it extend about 3-4' above the post top. Power will enter a junction box at the bottom of the conduit where there will also be a timer switch. Power is already at the site via an underground 12-2 UF that is _not_ GFCI protected. There is an existing GFCI receptacle on the circuit but the plan is to not feed through that GFCI. Photo attached.

I really appreciate all feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_9556(1).JPG
    IMG_9556(1).JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 257

Stuff

Reaction score
Shouldn't need GFCI. Only issue I see is of support. You have a max of 3' from luminary to last support. Connections need to be wrench tight.
You can add ground rods if you like but not required.

ApexKeith

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Stuff. I wasn't aware of the 3' limit, so that's good to know. I thought a ground rod near the base of the post would seem to provide extra insurance but didn't know if it was permissible, or would create some sort of undesirable ground loop.

ApexKeith

Reaction score
And now after further reading on auxiliary grounding electrodes, I won't give it another thought. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks