Bomb/storm shelter toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

KCinFlorida

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in the process of designing a home to be built on my lot next year.

I am looking at options for a storm/bomb shelter to be built below grade.

Because of the dual usage I plan on installing air filtration (NBC), blast doors, blast and overpressure valves,etc...

My question is this: besides a 5-gallon bucket with a toilet seat, can I have a regular toilet installed?

Keep in mind that the water table is very low and drainage may need a special solution.

Also, would I have to worry about some sort of blast valves on venting and drains?

Anyone have any experience in this department?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If your toilet is below the access point of where the main drain leaves the house you will need a flush up toilet or sewage ejection pit that will run on the power from what ever generator you are going to use. You will also need stored water to operate it and a pump of some sort, electric or hand.
I think a couple of buckets with sealing lids would suffice.

What blast level of blast door will you be using?

Last edited:

KCinFlorida

Reaction score
Hi Cass,

Thanks for your reply.

The blast door/s I have been looking at are rated to withstand high pressure waves up to 7200 pounds per square foot (50 pounds per square inch).
The door of course is air tight (compression seal) allowing for the use of a positive pressure NBC filtration system.

The air intake and exhaust will both have blast valves (also rated at 50 PSI).

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
There are waterless toilets. They do the composting thing. I would at least look into them.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
After watching the mess with Catrina I would forgo making it a bomb shelter. I would just make a good storm shelter.

I suppose though if you have deep enough pockets and a bomb shelter is realy something you think you need ....go for it.

Personaly if I were in that mind set first I would make a storm shelter with the ability to convert to a bomb shelter then make a safe room in my home incase of intruders, then finish the bomb shelter.

ASR

Reaction score
Toilet in Bombshelter

Hello KC,

Go to http://americanbombshelter.com/ and download the manual, see section (R) for detiled isometric drawings.

The toilet is a "kwik-Jon" brand, the blast valve is a ASR-BV-50.
We also manufactuer NBC filter/ventilation units, overpressure-valves and blast doors.

If you have any questions, feel free to give ma a call.

Best regards,

Len Henrikson
Chief Engineer
American Safe Room Inc.
PH 541.459.1806
www.americanbombshelter.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks