BLFC for ProFlo SXT

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave67

Reaction score
Hi

I have an older ProFlo valve I want to rebuild and I just want to confirm the recommended size of the BLFC. The unit is on a 10" tank and has the 1016 #00 (violet) injector and a 2.4 DLFC. I believe the book shows a .125 BLFC but am getting conflicting info on this. Some say .125 while others say .25 based on the salt setting. Anyone know for sure? Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi

I have an older ProFlo valve I want to rebuild and I just want to confirm the recommended size of the BLFC. The unit is on a 10" tank and has the 1016 #00 (violet) injector and a 2.4 DLFC. I believe the book shows a .125 BLFC but am getting conflicting info on this. Some say .125 while others say .25 based on the salt setting. Anyone know for sure? Thanks.
BLFC 0.25 gives more granularity. A 10x54 usually has 1.5 cubic ft of resin. If you use a 0.5 BLFC, 6 minutes of BF gives 6 pounds per cubic ft. 7 gives 7, 8 gives 8 and so forth.

For a 0.125 BLFC, you would use 12, 14, or 16 minutes of brine flow respectively.

Last edited:

Dave67

Reaction score
I believe your 12, 14, 16 minute numbers are based on a 0.25 BLFC not a 0.125. In any case, I understand the BF time calculations.

What I am wondering is what the correct BLFC is based on the #00 injector. According to Pentair, that valve (ProFlo) fills the brine tank with soft water, and therefore the injector is involved in the process of doing so along with the BLFC. They recommend a max BLFC of 0.125. But I read a 0.25 should be used with certain salt settings. This is why I am looking for clarification.

Reach4

Reaction score
I believe your 12, 14, 16 minute numbers are based on a 0.25 BLFC not a 0.125. In any case, I understand the BF time calculations.

What I am wondering is what the correct BLFC is based on the #00 injector. According to Pentair, that valve (ProFlo) fills the brine tank with soft water, and therefore the injector is involved in the process of doing so along with the BLFC. They recommend a max BLFC of 0.125. But I read a 0.25 should be used with certain salt settings. This is why I am looking for clarification.
There is a Fleck Bulletin 599 for the 7000. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/599-7000-sizing-instructions-small-pdf.30172/

It warns of using too big of a BLFC for the 7000. I don't know about a similar limitation on others.

The injector sizes in that table may not be the best. I am thinking either of these would be better for a 10 inch softener with a 7000 controller if my data is right. However the #00 works if the BD time is long enough.
#0 Injector - Red
#1 Injector - White

The injector GPMs may be different for a ProFlo valve.

Dave67

Reaction score
Thanks for that info.; that explains what they're doing. The principle is the same (ie using treated water for BF) but the injectors are different between the two valves. In any case, that explains why they spec a certain (smaller) BLFC for the different injectors. The 7000 uses the 1600 series injector while the ProFlo uses the 1610 so flow rates are a little different. The #00 1610 injector has a draw rate of around 0.2 gpm at 40 psi as far as I can see, so it would make sense that they would spec a 0.125 BLFC. The question now becomes, at what psi do they rate the flow control buttons......

Bannerman

Reaction score
The BLFC rate and the injector size are often somewhat related as a small injector may become the limiting device for brine fill instead of the BLFC button. See post #32 & #34: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....entification-other-s.67217/page-2#post-508582

The question now becomes, at what psi do they rate the flow control buttons......
Both the Fleck DLFC and BLFC buttons typically have tapered openings which will deform and vary the opening size to compensate for water pressure so the flow rate will remain consistent regardless of pressure. I recall Ditttohead had posted a diagram which illustrated how that works but so far, I have not had success locating that post.

Reach4

Reaction score
flow-chart-700.jpg

I am sure this curve is idealized. I expect that the real flow line is not really horizontal. Everybody seems to have the same curve, so you know they are not actual.

http://www.pumpsandwells.com/mm5/PDFs/Dole Valves.pdf

Dave67

Reaction score
Well that answers that. I guess the book was correct. 0.125 BLFC it is.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The #00 1610 injector has a draw rate of around 0.2 gpm at 40 psi as far as I can see, so it would make sense that they would spec a 0.125 BLFC.
The BLFC restrictor is to limit the BF rate, not the BD rate. The Brine Draw rate is controlled by the injector alone.

Something none of these diagrams show is the loosness and movement of the BLFC button within the housing. As there is some space around the button and as the button can slide forward toward the valve when in BD, a higher flow rate maybe acheived during BD as brine is drawn through both the restrictor hole and also past the button outer circumference.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The page link below shows how the BLFC and DLFC buttons work. They are very consistent across a wide range of pressures.

If you are using a 00 injector on a 1.5 Cu. Ft, be sure to adjust your BD time to 4X the draw. Assuming you are using 8 pounds of salt per ft3, this would mean you should have 32 minutes of brine refill and about 85 minutes of Brine/Rinse.
00 injector chart.jpg

Dave67

Reaction score
Thanks. By my calculations I got 32 min BF and about 80 min BD also. So all should be good.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks