Blanco silgranit sink - silicone or plumber's putty?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Rinoz, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Rinoz

Rinoz New Member

Installing a drop in sink with granite countertops. Can't find directions anywhere on Blanco's site specifying to use plumber's putty or silicone. Also unsure about sealant between sink and countertop. Any suggestions?

2. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    Lately I noticed all sink installation instructions, at least from China, suggest to use silicone for the sink drain. Plumbers putty is a bit oily and I think the granite sink will obsorb the oil and eventually look like a stain. There is stainless putty. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/silicone-on-drains-what-kind.80708/

For the sink flange, since it is supported in place by clips, just use silconized caulk under the flange. Press the sink down and center it, tighten the clips and then whip away excess caulk that oozed out. The caulk is only needs to act like a gasket. I have found that siliconized caulk pulls away from granite after just a few months. If you ever need to remove the sink it should come out fairly easy.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement