Black bits at the bottom of the toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Sambick123

Reaction score
Over the past few days I've noticed 'black flakes' at the bottom of the toilet, they're not stuck to the bottom of the bowl because if I put the toilet brush down it moves them but no amount of flushing gets rid of them! Any ideas what it is and how I can get rid of them?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190124-133430_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190124-133430_Gallery.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 2,399

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know the source. May be flakes sloughing off old pipes. I like a cartridge filter on incoming water-- even on city water.

To remove, wet-dry vacuum? Sponge?

If you can let yourself not be bothered by the flecks, it is best to ignore.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
It is probably mold from the water channels inside the porcelain that remain damp in damp weather. In my apartment in the city, in the one toilet there, I get specks exactly like that, and it's a real nuisance. Although I know it is heresy on this forum, I drop a Clorox Bleach toilet bowl cleaner tab in there, and then just deal with the shortened life span of my flapper. I still get at least 3 years on each Korky red flapper before I have to replace it because of the bleach, although I probably could get more if I wasn't proactive about it.

In any event, the bleach tabs totally eliminate the black speck problem. I know when they have worn out, because I start to see the specks again, open the toilet tank and sure enough the tablet is finished. New tablet, no black specs. The problem only seems to occur in Manhattan. On Long Island, none of the multiple toilets that we have there have even a hint of mold, and I have never used any kind of in-tank cleaner. In Manhattan, in the apartment building, anything that creates a fertile ground for mold to form gets mold, despite massive Tilexing on a regular basis (e.g. underside of shower mat, between shampoo bottle and tile if it is left untouched long enough, and all the usual places, like grout, where it can form).

Reach4

Reaction score
It is probably mold from the water channels inside the porcelain that remain damp in damp weather.
Water channels? I could see that for the bowl, but there are no channels in the tank, I think.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Correct. Bleach tabs in the tank create a bleachy water that rinses through the channels in the bowl porcelain when you flush. Kills the mold.

Subaru126

Reaction score
It is probably mold from the water channels inside the porcelain that remain damp in damp weather. In my apartment in the city, in the one toilet there, I get specks exactly like that, and it's a real nuisance. Although I know it is heresy on this forum, I drop a Clorox Bleach toilet bowl cleaner tab in there, and then just deal with the shortened life span of my flapper. I still get at least 3 years on each Korky red flapper before I have to replace it because of the bleach, although I probably could get more if I wasn't proactive about it.

In any event, the bleach tabs totally eliminate the black speck problem. I know when they have worn out, because I start to see the specks again, open the toilet tank and sure enough the tablet is finished. New tablet, no black specs. The problem only seems to occur in Manhattan. On Long Island, none of the multiple toilets that we have there have even a hint of mold, and I have never used any kind of in-tank cleaner. In Manhattan, in the apartment building, anything that creates a fertile ground for mold to form gets mold, despite massive Tilexing on a regular basis (e.g. underside of shower mat, between shampoo bottle and tile if it is left untouched long enough, and all the usual places, like grout, where it can form).

Thank you, wjcandee for your informative post. I've got two out of three toilets that have the black sediment, too. The flakes build up under the rim and even though I clean with a small brush, the black keeps coming. If I leave it alone for a few days I will see grayish "spray" inside - it looks like a spraypaint of gray mold was applied. It is so disgusting. My landlord is a contractor and he blamed the water. I just had two different water dept. reps come out, test the water, and identify that it must be the toilets.
We don't have mold issues here in the SF Bay Area, but I'll try the tablets and see what happens.
Thank you!
Subaru126

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks