Big problem with tub & shower drains

Users who are viewing this thread

jam45

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here & desperately looking for advice. I took out old tub & galv drain pipe broke off leaving threads in lower pipe. Plumber told me to use black cement & acrylic caulk to join pvc to site. That doesn't work!! Its about a foot down in the hole. Put a coupling reducer on the end of the pvc to fit into galv pipe.
I've gone to all the plumbing stores & most said a banded something would join these pipes, but because its at the joint, the rubber won't fit over it. Is there some way to cut the flared joint off of the galv? Your help would be ever so appreciated.
JAM45

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What did the plumber do, that you paid him $1,100.00 ?

jam45

Reaction score
Plumber fit pipes to the tub drain & overflow of tub, adjusted our water pipes on the wall (they were 1/2 inch off-center & not even with wall surface), & did the shower set -up, including opening that drain. He also did electrical work of changing wall heaters to ceiling lite/heat/vent & installed light boxes over the mirrors-to-be in both bathrooms.

Last edited:

jam45

Reaction score
Oh yes definitely. Good friend recommended him & he was "fitting me into his schedule". He was in such a hurry to get through that he did a halfway job.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
jam45 said:
.... Is there some way ....? Is there some way....? How should I proceed? ....
Second: the master bath had no shower/tub, but it did have ....
JAM45

jam Ma'am,

Hope to be helpful.

Most helpful I can say to you now, is to describe one and only one problem, and to describe it well, and NOT to talk about the past. Do that, and add a little stick drawing or a little photo, and you'll find that the advice and discussion you generate will focus on your next step. That is what you want and need.

David

jam45

Reaction score
thanks David. I understand.
One question; will a drill with a cutting wheel take the top off the vertical pipe down in the hole?

jam45

Reaction score
found answer

All you plumbers out there might consider designing a coupling that will cover joints. Nothing on the market fits. I came up with a solution, however, & it has worked! I used a 4-inch cutting wheel on the end of a small drill that fit into the whole & cut the end off the old pipe. Then applied a banded rubber connection to it & the pvc, & AT LAST, after a week, could set the tub!:p

Will the rubber endure drano, etc?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks