Best Cleaner/brush for Toto CEFIONTECT?

Users who are viewing this thread

cwooden82

Reaction score
Hi - after much reading have decided to buy a Toto Drake II to replace my ancient toilet (house built in '55, I think it's the original - has 4 bolts instead of 2) At first was going to cheap out - $ being pretty tight- and get a cadet or a Niagara. They had both of these installed in the ladies rm at my local plumbing shop, they let me stay in there and do flush tests. ;)Not being totally happy with the results, ( they both failed the pepper test ) decided to get out the card and go for the double cyclone flush with SG. I want to make sure to take good care of the finish - what do you recommend for cleaning inside/outside?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The AS Cadet would probably work OK as long as it wasn't defective. Pros like Terry and Redwood report many factory defects. The Niagara is really bad news, so it's good you stayed away from that one. Two of the four bolts on the old one go into the floor. The other two into the flange. You are spending a bit more for the Drake II, but you are getting a better toilet. I'm not sure what to use, but I do not you want to stay away from abrasives that will damage the CEFIONTECT, and are totally unnecessary on the exterior anyway. Your dealer should be able to recommend a good product and may even sell something. Hang around the forum, there will likely be some good suggestions.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I have had a Toto Carlysle with Sani-glos for about ten years. I use Simple Green (diluted about five to one) with a plastic bowl brush (not a brush with a twisted wire holding the bristles) for general cleaning. I also disinfect with about a half-to-full cup of cheap bleach swished around and left for ten minutes maximum. Flush two or three times after the bleach treatment. About once a month pour some bleach through the overflow tube in the tank to disinfect the rim passages and holes. Follow this with two or three flushings after ten minutes.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cefiontect_instructions.pdf

• Use a mild dish detergent to clean your lavatory.
• Use a gel-based toilet bowl cleaner.
• Use a soft cloth to clean your lavatory.
• Use a soft-bristled plastic brush to clean your toilet.

toto-bowl-cleaning.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cwooden82

Reaction score
The AS Cadet would probably work OK as long as it wasn't defective. Pros like Terry and Redwood report many factory defects. The Niagara is really bad news, so it's good you stayed away from that one. Two of the four bolts on the old one go into the floor. The other two into the flange. You are spending a bit more for the Drake II, but you are getting a better toilet. I'm not sure what to use, but I do not you want to stay away from abrasives that will damage the CEFIONTECT, and are totally unnecessary on the exterior anyway. Your dealer should be able to recommend a good product and may even sell something. Hang around the forum, there will likely be some good suggestions.

The Cadet didn't have a good bowl wash, left pepper on the bowl even after a few flushes - read about some fixes having to do with reaming the holes out with a clothes hanger - no thanks. Don't feel I should have to fix a brand new fixture. The Niagara cleaned the bowl but didn't get rid of all the pepper - there was still some swirling around in the water after a few flushes.

Furd - thanks for tips.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks