Bathtub renovation - old p-trap & copper pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Stevebg4

Reaction score
Hello folks,

This is my first post and I have read many good plumbing suggestions.
I am doing a DIY bathroom renovation at my home and my old steel tub has 1/2in copper drain pipes and there are no leaks and I assume probably 25-30 old pipes, see picture.
My new acrylic tub is 60inx30in and its the same dimensions as the old tub.

My questions are:

Should I remove the existing old p trap, copper pipes, elbows which I think are copper and cast iron perhaps but not sure 100% ?

If I don't have the replace the p-trap, copper piping, then which type of adapter or coupling do I need to get to put on my existing p-trap to my PVC pipe drain kit ?

If I need to replace, then can I make the copper pipe cut at the location marked ?

Do I replace with new PVC or ABS piping, elbows, p-trap ?

20210405_143019.jpg

thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you using PVC for the tub drain, then cut the copper and couple it with a shield coupling.
The trap arm rises at a 2% slope, 1/4" per foot.
Your floor joists look to be in the wrong spot for that tub. There isn't much left of them.

Stevebg4

Reaction score
Terry,

thanks for the quick reply and its unfortunate that floor joist where in that location and where cut partially to install the p trap.
Any suggestions to add additional support on the existing floor joist or I need to replace them ?

Can I cut the copper at the marked location, shown in pic below, and then install a Proflex 1-1/2 in. Neoprene Shielded Coupling and put PVC piping with elbows and a new p- trap ?

p3001-150.jpg

20210405_170016.jpg

thanks

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
The line from the trap to the vent (trap arm) cannot drop down like that, the existing drain is wrong. Gerber and others make a side outlet tub drain drain that you could probably make work. They are not very common and you may have to hunt for one.

Reach4

Reaction score
How about the output of a U of a p-trap goes where the red line in #3 is. U fits into space to the right. Drain from tub bends to horizontal, and goes over to the input of the U.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Agree with Reach4.. Install the trap where the red line is and plumb the waste and overflow to the trap.

Stevebg4

Reaction score
Hi All,

Below is the new tub drain rough- in that I did so far, does it look ok and is up to code ?

20210412_103427.jpg

thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks