Bathtub Drain Sizing

Users who are viewing this thread

Cobalt

Reaction score
My ceiling is open and I have the opportunity to improve some plumbing.

My bath empties into a 1 1/2" P-trap and connects into a 2" branch. (see diagram)

Would there be an advantage to re-plump the highlit section of 11/2" drain pipe to 2" after the 1 1/2" P-trap to the 2" Tee? Would the drain flow faster?

Thanks

IMG_0615.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Tubs drain slow because of the design of the drain shoe to the trap and the type of stopper used. All tubs are 1.5". It won't hurt to increase the drain line since you have access but also replace the trap with a 2". If your tub is now draining slow, somewhere there could be a clog usually from hair. BTW, all traps below the floor level, bath tubs and showers must have cemented joints. No slip joints except at the vertical tub drain pipe depending on the material it is made of. Some are cemented, other are threaded.

Cobalt

Reaction score
thanks for your informative reply. i will check for clogs

i find changing the P trap a little daunting because of the space. if i just changed the section of pipe do you think would it make a difference or am i just wasting my time?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your drain should change as you have it drawn. That would be what code requires here. As far as how much improvement? Not sure

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont think changing trap arm size but leaving the p trap at 1 1/2" will help. but my code requires a 2 inch trap arm and p trap when over 42" long

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks