Bathtub drain keeps spinning?

Users who are viewing this thread

Schniddy

Reaction score
Greetings, thanks in advance for any advice. I'll explain my situation, and I'm concerned it's above my 'average diy' skills, but I have no clue who to call to help me address it if it is.

My main floor bathroom appears to have a tub liner installed, and I noticed that it feels like there is water below the liner. From google searches and watching YouTube videos, it would appear that it is likely there is a leak between the tub drain and the liner which allowed water to get in to there.

I attempted to remove the tub shoe, and all it does is spin and spin and spin. During this spinning, chunks of caulk came up, and clearly water is now (slowly) draining from behind the liner/tub drain.

I have an unfinished basement and have access to below, and while spinning the drain, nothing is moving downstairs.

I'd like to get the water out from between the liner and I think it starts with getting this drain out.

Please feel free to call me an idiot because I sure feel like one, but any tips or things to try would be appreciated. I called a plumber I've previously used, but he is booking out until late August and I have a wife, toddler and 3-month old twins who are looking to use this bathtub sooner than that...

IMG_3834[1].JPG
IMG_3836[1].JPG
IMG_3837[1].JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think the drain you have is newer and of a different thread than the old waste and overflow drain for the old tub.
You also have a drum trap there below. If I were thinking of the job, I would be thinking of a new tub drain and new p-trap. That would also mean that everything would match up again.

Schniddy

Reaction score
I think the drain you have is newer and of a different thread than the old waste and overflow drain for the old tub.
You also have a drum trap there below. If I were thinking of the job, I would be thinking of a new tub drain and new p-trap. That would also mean that everything would match up again.

Thanks Terry.

So the thought is that the drain's threads are kaput which is why it just spins (while being retained) when I'm turning it? At this point, it's likely going to have to be cut out vs. trying to get leverage to pull & turn at it? And even if I get it out, the threads are going to be junk to put a replacement back in...

So I'd be looking to replace the pipe starting with the black drum in the middle of the picture all the way back to the tub drain and overflow?

Is this beyond the scope of DIY? As I already got stuck at the step where I remove the tub drain, I'd be concerned I'd start running into difficulties removing/disassembling this old pipe.

IMG_3840[2].JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a bit tricky for anyone with what you have going there.
Spinning and not lifting out seems like the threads aren't a match. If that's the case, then it would make sense to start over with new parts, a complete assembly.
Or if you do finally remove it, the older drains are a finer thread, and they do have those at the hardware stores.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
schniddy , you are getting a tool all the way down to the cross bar and unscrewing it correct? I'd probably wack that out with a sawsall to the combi leaving enough galvie to put a no hub band. then replace the trap and waste /overflow with a solvent weld ABS or PVC parts.

Schniddy

Reaction score
schniddy , you are getting a tool all the way down to the cross bar and unscrewing it correct? Id probebly wack that out with a sawsall to the combi leaving enough galvie to put a no hub band. then replace the trap and waste /overflow with a solvent weld abs or pvc parts.

Yep, drain tool all the way down to the cross bar, and is spinning the whole drain without lifting up.

Schniddy

Reaction score
I thought I'd follow-up as I know when I search for a problem, it's rare people come back and post up their solutions.

Thanks again for the replies, I was finally able to get a plumber out here to address this issue. You guys hit the nail on the head with your replies.

Turns out whoever installed the liner did a really crummy job, and they just jammed the new drain into the old drain, similar approach to the overflow using copious amounts of silicone. The drain was spinning because it was stuck to the drain in the cast iron tub, which was being retained between the liner and the cast iron tub. The plumber said the previous remodel didn't have a plumber involved because there's no way a plumber would have taken that approach instead of doing it right.

Enter sawsall, and he was able to get both the overflow and drain out and get a new drain/overflow.

Overall, it was 3 hours of labor (~$600 with local rates) + parts (~$60).

Thanks again guys!

IMG_3974[1].JPG
IMG_3975[1].JPG

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I thought I'd follow-up as I know when I search for a problem, it's rare people come back and post up their solutions.

Thanks again for the replies, I was finally able to get a plumber out here to address this issue. You guys hit the nail on the head with your replies.

Turns out whoever installed the liner did a really crummy job, and they just jammed the new drain into the old drain, similar approach to the overflow using copious amounts of silicone. The drain was spinning because it was stuck to the drain in the cast iron tub, which was being retained between the liner and the cast iron tub. The plumber said the previous remodel didn't have a plumber involved because there's no way a plumber would have taken that approach instead of doing it right.

Enter sawsall, and he was able to get both the overflow and drain out and get a new drain/overflow.

Overall, it was 3 hours of labor + parts (~$60).

Thanks again guys!

View attachment 76604 View attachment 76605

Thanks Schmiddy! for the detailed reply we don't know everything and answers help all of us .
I don't think 1 in 10 plumbers will get out of their truck and make even an adjustment for 5 minutes for 60 bucks but maybe an estimate for a job. but it looks like decent work to me. good luck!

Schniddy

Reaction score
Thanks Schmiddy! for the detailed reply we don't know everything and answers help all of us .
I don't think 1 in 10 plumbers will get out of their truck and make even an adjustment for 5 minutes for 60 bucks but maybe an estimate for a job. but it looks like decent work to me. good luck!

Oh no, sorry if I wasnt clear. The parts were $60. The plumber got 3 hours of labor for the job + trip fee ($600). I hesitated posting the local rates here ($160-$190/hr here was quoted from the plumbers I called) so somebody elsewhere in the country didn't get an unrealistic expectation of what it cost.

I edited the original reply to make that more clear :)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Oh no, sorry if I wasnt clear. The parts were $60. The plumber got 3 hours of labor for the job + trip fee ($600). I hesitated posting the local rates here ($160-$190/hr here was quoted from the plumbers I called) so somebody elsewhere in the country didn't get an unrealistic expectation of what it cost.

I edited the original reply to make that more clear :)
ha ha ok I like the 60 dollar price better for you ! not so good for me ! posting prices not a big help for geographical reasons .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks