Bathroom reno: where can the fixture vent(s) go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Geodork

Reaction score
Hi - I've been lurking, this appears to be a very knowledgeable and helpful forum. My goal with this post is figuring out if where I'm planning to put my new walls will work, or if I need to revise before getting a building permit.
Currently the 3/4 bath has no venting for the drains, the nearest vent stack is 25+ feet away by the other bathroom in the house. So as part of this renovation, I need to have new vent(s) added up through the wall(s) and attic and roof. I've been trying to learn about drain/waste/vent pipe sizing and location codes, but it is very confusing to me. We have a crawl space with decent access, 1 floor, and an attic above.
This layout shows where existing pipes are, proposed pipes, existing walls, new walls, new fixtures, floor joists, and some other junk. It's sort of busy.
Can the necessary venting be built into any of the walls that the new fixtures will be located on? (The green wall on the left or the blue wall on the top/north side?) Do I need to move the north wall further north?

New+MB+floorplan+9-25-17-For-Plumber.jpg

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
You've got it made in the shade. Run your vent up in the wall behind the new sink location. Tie in to existing vent in the attic. Head toward the main and catch the shower, then the toilet on the way out. You can upsize to 3" where the shower drain ties in with a 3x2x2 set-up before the toilet drain goes in. If I properly understand your very thorough plans.

Geodork

Reaction score
You've got it made in the shade. Run your vent up in the wall behind the new sink location. Tie in to existing vent in the attic. Head toward the main and catch the shower, then the toilet on the way out. You can upsize to 3" where the shower drain ties in with a 3x2x2 set-up before the toilet drain goes in. If I properly understand your very thorough plans.

When you say "head toward the main and catch the shower, then the toilet on the way out," are you talking about venting pipes that need to go up through the walls, or drain pipes that need to go down into the crawl space? To fit any vent piping up through the new (blue) wall on the north side of the bathroom, I'll need to move it further away from that joist. That's what I want to know - do I need to get that wall away from that joist.

Geodork

Reaction score

I made another drawing of what I think you're saying, please tell me if this is wrong. The horizontal distances are my measurements from the drain outlets (before the p-trap) to the vertical drain piece. This doesn't seem right??

drain-vent diagram.png

Reach4

Reaction score
That shower trap arm should be 2 inch, not 1.5.
I don't know the required vent diameter above the sink (1.5 or 2). Below the sink, to where the toilet joins in would be 2 inch I think.
I am not a plumber.

Geodork

Reaction score
That shower trap arm should be 2 inch, not 1.5.
I don't know the required vent diameter above the sink (1.5 or 2). Below the sink, to where the toilet joins in would be 2 inch I think.
I am not a plumber.

Thanks. The shower trap diameter is 2", the 1'5" dimension is the length.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks