Basic Wiring Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jcheech

Reaction score
I am planning a new circuit. It will be a 15 amp circuit running from the panel to a four gang box. The circuit will power a bathroom fan and three light fixtures.

In order to wire the four switches I'll need to make a pigtail from the line to each switch in the four gang box. That means I'll have four wires plus the line for a total of five wires in this single pigtail. Is this safe to do? Further, is it required that I twist all five wires together to make the pigtail or is it OK to align them with one another and twist a wire nut onto the end.

Just need some help with the mechanics. Thanks,

Joe

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Your pigtail method is fine. That is exactly how I do it.

As far as twisting, that is a highly contentious issue among electricians.
Pre-twisting is not usually required, but most of us do it.

I will just say, if you do not pre-twist the wires, and you remove the wire nut after, it should look like you did twist them. Understand?

Jcheech

Reaction score
Thanks, Pete. I'll have to practice on some scrap material first. I'm thnking it would be easier if i strip off more than 3/4" from each wire - say about 2 inches - twist them neatly and trim the whole thing down to the right length.

Regards.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Thanks, Pete. I'll have to practice on some scrap material first. I'm thnking it would be easier if i strip off more than 3/4" from each wire - say about 2 inches - twist them neatly and trim the whole thing down to the right length.
Good idea. I hold the bundle of wires with one pair of pliers, and twist with another, then trim the twist to length, nice and neat. Lately, I've been using some push-in splice blocks that I'm really beginning to like, especially for big bundles -- they come in up to eight-hole versions.
Ideal push-ins.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
switches

I would take a piece of wire about a foot long, strip several areas along its length then loop each bare section around one of the switch terminals, then wire nut the loose end to the hot lead. Eliminating a big ball of wires and giving a tight connection at the switches.

Jcheech

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. Mission accomplished! I created 4 12-inch strands of wire, stripped off about two inches from each one and twisted them together with the line feed, then i cut it down to length and put a wire nut on it. It was nice and tight and even looked like a seasoned pro did it.

Thanks again.

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
In cases like this, I prefer using the back-wired switches.(not the push-ins). You can jump from one switch to the other eliminating the "mess" of all that extra wire in the box.