Basement Toilet Gurgle Shower Geiser!

Am I really screwed?

• No - you're not in too bad of shape.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

joefrank25

Reaction score
I've done a little reading of some of the other posts and think that I either have a clog or venting issue, but I need to ask the pros because this one has me stumped!

I live in a 1956 SFH with 2 upstairs toilets and a full bath in the basement. I came home the other day to a soaking wet basement floor. The facts:

-The majority of the water in the toilet was no longer in the toilet
-There is a "splatter pattern" of a dark brown substance in the shower that looks like a lot of water came up through the shower drain (gross!)
-There is a gurgle now in the downstairs toilet when I flush the upstairs toilet.

Any ideas? If it is venting, is that something that I can fix myself (I get the concept of venting but I'm not sure how to fix it).

Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The nature of your question indicates to me that you should call a plumber. In the mean time, do not dump chemicals in the drain. If you already have, tell the plumber what, when, and how much you put in. Chemicals will not fix many drain problems, certainly not the large ones, and besides damage to the drain lines, create a dangerous condition for plumbers to work in. You don't have the knowledge, experience, or equipment to deal with this yourself.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
JoeFrankBillyBob Where are you located?

Is it in a frozen wasteland or, the sunny south? You just might have a frost closure on a vent.

joefrank25

Reaction score
Washington DC

I'm in Washington DC - it's been quasi cold here as of late!

Where would my vent be located? (near the toilet, corner of house) - obviously outside, right?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It would be through the roof. In D.C. I would doubt you have frost closure... This problem usually requires single digit, or, worse temps to occurr. You probably have a drain line problem.

joefrank25

Reaction score
Drain Line problem

Okay I'll byte...

How do I fix a drain line problem? Take a huge snake in through the toilet?

Could it be that my neighbors are also experience this, or is it more than likely just me? Neighbors are about 50 feet away in another SFH.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You call a professional plumber who can auger the drain with professional equipment. You should not even consider attempting this yourself. The size and power of the auger required to do a complete job is not for a novice. Even pros sometime break the auger or hurt themselves. There are times, and this is one of them, you bite the bullet and pay the man. It will probably save you money in the long run. "A man's got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks