Baffle Tee for disposer

Users who are viewing this thread

Emilian Taranu

Reaction score
Hi Terry and fellow bloggers,
I'm new to this forum and of course, I have a question. I would appreciate an answer.
I filed a claim with my home warranty company just a few days ago for a leaky garbage disposal (it leaks from the bottom, the plumber sent to assess the situation said that it's due to the metal rusting, the unit is about 15 yrs old and "lasted more than average", he said; the disposal is still working great otherwise). In his report to the warranty company he mentioned that the disposal was improperly installed, which very quickly prompted the warranty company to decline the coverage. After several attempts to find out why the disposal was improperly installed, the plumber told me that it was because the disposal arm shoots directly across the T, rather than into the T. OK, I understood what he meant. Then I was told by an older gentlemen in the plumbing dept of a major home improvement store, who appeared to know his stuff, that if the T is a baffle T the installation is correct. I opened up the connections to see what type of T I have and it is a baffle T. The configuration I currently have is attached. Anyone happens to know if this is up to code in Missouri and if in fact the plumber was wrong in his assessment that that the disposal was improperly installed?
Thank you so much.

Baffle T.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I filed a claim with my home warranty company just a few days ago for a leaky garbage disposal (it leaks from the bottom, the plumber sent to assess the situation said that it's due to the metal rusting, the unit is about 15 yrs old and "lasted more than average", he said; the disposal is still working great otherwise).
The presence of the baffle tee did not cause the leakage from the garbage disposal itself. A baffle tee is not the ideal way, but it was not at fault.

The home warranty company hopes that you find pursuing further is too much trouble. While I have no relevant experience, I think that is probably their regular M. O. Check BBB on the warranty company, and I suspect you will find that to be the case.

Did you give money to the person they sent?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's a standard fitting for that type of installation. Not my first choice, but certainly doable at times. I've done it many times. The plumber would be wrong for saying that unless it's some local code that the rest of us are unaware of.

Most disposers should be replaced at ten years whether they spin or not.

What warranty company doesn't replace a leaking 15 year old disposer?

badger-5-13-yo.jpg

disposer_w_hole.jpg

This one still spins. Maybe some duct tape over the hole?
Don't look at the cross threaded slip joint nut.

center-outlet-waste-dearborn.jpg

The kit I use.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
most storys i hear are the warranty companys will pay out. but a point is and I see no mention of it... that a disposal thats 15 years old is worn out beyond its expected life . Ive never had a policy or looked at one but I recomend reading yours. used home purchasers around here buy a policy and get things fixed that werent working when the moved in , dishwashers water heaters etc. I think its wrong but seen it several times

Reach4

Reaction score
most storys i hear are the warranty companys will pay out. but a point is and I see no mention of it... that a disposal thats 15 years old is worn out beyond its expected life . Ive never had a policy or looked at one but I recomend reading yours. used home purchasers around here buy a policy and get things fixed that werent working when the moved in , dishwashers water heaters etc. I think its wrong but seen it several times
Some home warranties are provided by a seller to a buyer as part of the sale. So that buyer isn't trying to slip one over on the warranty company.

In any case, I would look to get the disposal replaced, and it would be better to upgrade to an Evolution model if you can afford it. Then if the only reason you were not covered was the baffle T thing, consider suing in small claims court. Watch some episodes of "People's Court.

Warranty company will probably want to settle. In fact just telling them that that you plan to sue in small claims and they will have to pay your plumber plus the court filing fee of $32 (or whatever it is). The mention of the filing fee amount may let them think you are serious.

I have never been involved in a lawsuit, small claims or otherwise. But I have watched some daytime TV. ;-)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks