Bad Shower side sprays

Users who are viewing this thread

Kaliban

Reaction score
The stall shower in our master bath has six side sprays that hardly work - I removed the heads (most or totally clogged.) When I turn on the water now, it comes out of only the bottommost one nearest the feed - just a dribble elsewhere.

Can I repair this (without taking down the whole shower) or is the whole thing plumbed wrong and so I should just forget the whole deal and seal it off?

Thanks,

Gabe

TheZster

Reaction score
For grins... take off all the heads and flush the system thoroughly....

water pressure being what it is.... obviously most of the water will initially flow through the bottom outlets..... let them run a while... then plug them with "something" - forcing the water flow upwards.... continue that pattern until you've a good flow through the top ones.....

Then make sure all your spray heads are clear - and begin reinstalling them....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did it ever work well? Side sprays are often about 1.5 gallons/minute. So, six of them all on at the same time is about 9 gallons/minute. If you have a "main" showerhead, too, add another 2.5 gallons/minute. If you don't have 3/4" feed and valve, I doubt you will have enough flow to make a satisfying shower. Do you know the brand and model of your shower control valve? What are its flow specs? A 1/2" control is good for maybe 6-8 gallons/minute (depends on the brand and design). My unprofessional opinion.

Kaliban

Reaction score
Thank you both...

11-12 gpm!! Boy that sounds like a lot - & water ain't free around here. The valve is a delta - probably not very high end just a round disk with plastic knob in the center - no idea what the model or flow specs are . There actually was a "toe tester" in this shower as well so someone thought there was enough pressure when it was built (1947) or maybe they didnt think about that stuff back then.

Anyway, the shower heads are soaking in CLR but I really can't test the shower since the pan is gone - and I probably would want new ones anyway.. looks like the shower will have to go. Is the side spray system worth saving or kinda useless given removal flexible heads? I assume I could get more restrictive heads and go with 2 instead of 6...

Gabe

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
If you're already making a mess in there (ie: no shower pan!) then you should go ahead and lose that system if it seems old and outdated. Something that was high end decades ago could never compare with lower end stuff we have out now :) you should treat yourself to a new shower that works with your 1/2" supply and enjoy your new found pressure! Who wants a dribbly ol' shower at the end of your hard day?

Kaliban

Reaction score
Thanks

(apologies for the sporadic replies - we're getting my oldest off to college and are a little wrapped up in it)

Guess I have to go for the whole deal - but you know how these things go - the shower is likely to pull the whole bathroom into a renov!!$$$$$$$

Yikes. Gotta get those diy skills into high gear...

Gabe

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks