Back Water Valve installation requirements

Users who are viewing this thread

Mach123

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I'm new on forum and like to see if I can get an answer on my issue.
I am installing a back water valve in a new construction home in bc Canada and the sewer line is a 4 in and pops up at a 45 just inside garage door. So my question is, can I continue the line to the outer edge of garage and install it, then come up above grade to rest of home. Second thing is. I can not find any info on if it needs to be so many inches away from a 45 before or after the unit or if stack needs to be so far away from unit. Thx

Mach123

Reaction score
Wow, I'm shocked no one has an answer. This has been the first time it has taken so long to get an answer, or non at all.
Unless I stump everyone, lol

Wrenched

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey Mach 123, a little late, but here goes:

You're asking a question in the code section (a less busy part of the site), about canadian code (also less common visitors to the site).
There just aren't a lot of people here to answer your question.

Your best bet to contact your local plumbing inspectors and run things by them.

Otherwise, pictures and location information might help the forum help you.

First off I'll say sanitary BWVs are uncommon in my part of B.C. with only New West. asking for them in the lower mainland.

Secondly, the only mention in the NPC is in section 2.4.6.4, essentially laying out that sanitary valves must be full-port normally open valves, and that combined systems(which are not allowed in new builds) require protection against sewage back-up on the subsoil drainage side.

Thirdly, the only manufacturers I know of are Mainline and Inflotrolix (Aqua-protec), of which Mainline has a 99%+ market share. They can answer specific questions about their products.

Hopefully your questions have already been answered elsewhere. If so it'd be great to hear back, if not, post some pics, we'll see what fits your situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks