Autotrol 255/440i clear cup question

Users who are viewing this thread

tomtran

Reaction score
i got old water autotrol softener i would to know on the right side control valve it had clear cup with ball inside it had 2 bolts hold it, what is the cup telling ..............hope your guys understand,thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
The clear cup and ball is the check valve. Normally there would then be no check valve in the brine tank. The ball floats near the top

Between regenerations that would normally be full of water, because it was refilled during the last cycle, which ended with brine fill.

When regeneration starts moves from backwash and then brine fill, the level of the water drops maybe an inch(?), and the ball dances around the top of the water. The top area has a partial vacuum as water is being sucked in.

When the brine has been sucked down below the tube that goes near the bottom of the brine tank, water continues to be sucked, but air is coming into the tube. Thus the water level drops until the ball plugs the exit hole at the bottom of the clear cup. Last, the ball and water level move back up during brine fill.

As you face the control, input is on the left and output is on the right-- opposite of Fleck and Clack.

Last edited:

tomtran

Reaction score
Thank.
how i can tell my water softener is working normally,i saw it does not used salt in brine tank.( i clean tank install new salt fill water in talk like 3 gallon but right now water in brine tank more than 3 gallon ) it regenerate every 3 day ,could someone help me how to check it.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
During regen, brine gets sucked out, and during refill water gets put back.

You could have an air leak in the brine line. You could have a clogged injector. There are other things. I would clean the injector and injector screen. Have you read the service manual, and done the troubleshooting for "Control will not draw brine."?

tomtran

Reaction score
my water softener still does not draw from brine i already check injector & filter ball all it look fine and i check line for vacuum leak they are good when i manual turn cam by hand to backwash i remove hose at clean cup it does not had vacuum at all.could you tell me..thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
filter ball all it look fine
You mean the ball is floating high in water?
i check line for vacuum leak they are good
How did you check? Did you unscrew the line and suck brine with your mouth?

when i manual turn cam by hand to backwash i remove hose at clean cup it does not had vacuum at all.
The vacuum does not occur during backwash. It should suck during the Brine/Slow rinse (Draw/Slow Rinse).

How is the water flow through the drain line during Slow Rinse? Is it maybe 1/2 gallon per minute?

There are some Youtube videos that may help.

Last edited:

tomtran

Reaction score
i mean i was check ball at control one on back and one at front,
vacuum i check line by using car vacuum test.(testing hose only)
the screen look very clean.
i did not measure water flow at the drain,but it flow like slow.
i did watch some YouTube.
but now last time i check during regenerate i saw the ball at clean cup it dance with some air bobble and it suck water in brine tank .now tank had little water after after system regenerate done i think it working but unknown why.Thanks a lot for understand and help me .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks