Attic insulation

Users who are viewing this thread

robert10185

Reaction score
My permit calls for me using r30 insulation between the ceiling joists, I want to use roxul r30 but it says it is for 2x8 ceiling joists. Can I use this?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If your joists are at least 7.25" deep or more (the nominal depth of a milled 2x8) it'll fit pretty nicely. If the joists are full-dimension rough 2x lumber, shallower than 7.25", or the spacing isn't a standard 16" or 24" on center spacing you'll be better off using blown cellulose, installed at an initial depth of 9.5-10", with purpose made ventilation chutes to prevent it from contacting the roof deck (which would interfere with the drying capacity of the roof deck.) Cellulose is a pretty cheap DIY, and box stores usually throw in a day of free blower rental with some minimum quantity purchase of cellulose.

Rock wool is good stuff though- just be sure to trim it carefully to fit with no gaps or compressions . Use a purpose-made batt knife or an 8" (or longer) bread knife for trimming. Rock wool can get pretty messed up if trying to cut it with a utility knife, more so than with low-density fiberglass (which should also be trimmed with a batt knife. DIYers often try get by with a utility knife, which can sort-of work with fiberglass, but the fit and mess can be pretty lousy when using the wrong tool. A batt knife isn't really very expensive, and makes the job a lot easier.

Prior to insulating take pains to fully air seal the ceiling/attic-floor around all electrical, plumbing, & flue penetrations with the appropriate materials.

robert10185

Reaction score
If your joists are at least 7.25" deep or more (the nominal depth of a milled 2x8) it'll fit pretty nicely. If the joists are full-dimension rough 2x lumber, shallower than 7.25", or the spacing isn't a standard 16" or 24" on center spacing you'll be better off using blown cellulose, installed at an initial depth of 9.5-10", with purpose made ventilation chutes to prevent it from contacting the roof deck (which would interfere with the drying capacity of the roof deck.) Cellulose is a pretty cheap DIY, and box stores usually throw in a day of free blower rental with some minimum quantity purchase of cellulose.

Rock wool is good stuff though- just be sure to trim it carefully to fit with no gaps or compressions . Use a purpose-made batt knife or an 8" (or longer) bread knife for trimming. Rock wool can get pretty messed up if trying to cut it with a utility knife, more so than with low-density fiberglass (which should also be trimmed with a batt knife. DIYers often try get by with a utility knife, which can sort-of work with fiberglass, but the fit and mess can be pretty lousy when using the wrong tool. A batt knife isn't really very expensive, and makes the job a lot easier.

Prior to insulating take pains to fully air seal the ceiling/attic-floor around all electrical, plumbing, & flue penetrations with the appropriate materials.
THANK YOU

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks