Gas water heater brand reliability and Honeywell gas valve questions

Users who are viewing this thread

box5phantom

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to decide which brand of water heater to replace my 13 year old 50 gallon gas Rheem by a licensed plumber. I know each of you may install a specific brand, could anyone who install multiple brands to recommend a relative reliable line based on the recent experience(last 2 to 3 years). I need 50 gallon gas, and efficiency comes lower priority than reliability.

I have read that the Honeywell gas valve is not quite reliable back in 2015. Has the issue been fixed recently in the latest model? It seems Rheem, AO smith and Brandford White are using Honeywell in residential line. Are those control units the same?

I am also struggling with the brand choice. For whatever reason, none of the brand seems to be standing out based on online reviews. I am really focusing on build quality and reliability, and I am willing to pay premium for lasting longer. Shall I adjust my expectation that new residential gas hot water heater is going to be 5 to 6 year life span instead of 10 to 12 years?

Looking at glass door and indeed page for the 3 companies, it seems A.O smith=Rheem>Brandford white. I have a bias that unhappy employees will not produce qualify products.

Your inputs are very welcome.

Last edited:

xxxshiftxxx

Reaction score
I am by means no expert, but my house has had two Bradford Whites and a Rheem since 2006.

Moved into house in 2010, original Bradford White from 2006 got a leaky tank in 2011. Replaced under warranty with a like model. That one had the honeywell gas valve go out a year or so after installing. I replaced that gas valve, which was simple enough. This water heater also had a tank leak a few years later.

I took that one out and replaced it with a Rheem. The Rheem has some electrolosis on the cold water in line, which the Bradford Whites never had and is popping really bad when I put a demand on the water fill line and open another water tap in the house.

I would say that each brand has the possibility of being faulty some place. Hopefully some pros will chime in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks