Anyone run their softener without the top basket?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Found a little pipe dope from install that had squeezed its way into the resin. I pulled the basket and ran the BW so all that gunk could get flushed. My resin expands to about 6" below the valve. Any reason to not leave it this way?

Reach4

Reaction score
I run my H2S+iron filter without a top basket. The top basket was pretty gunked up.

Reaction score
I do the same on my iron filter but not the softener. Since that doesn't get as gunked up. I really see no reason to leave it on if I'm not backwashing resin to drain

Bannerman

Reaction score
A top basket within a softener, will act as a diffuser to spread the flow of incoming water evenly across the diameter of the resin as opposed to allowing the solid water stream to erode a deep divot into the resin.

Because iron reduction systems oxidize ferrous iron to cause it to be converted to ferric iron, the resulting ferric solids to be backwashed from the heavy filtration media, will often clog an upper basket screen, so an upper basket is usually not utilized. To diffuse the incoming water flow above the filtration media, an umbrella style diffuser is recommended.

Reaction score
A top basket within a softener, will act as a diffuser to spread the flow of incoming water evenly across the diameter of the resin as opposed to allowing the solid water stream to erode a deep divot into the resin.

Because iron reduction systems oxidize ferrous iron to cause it to be converted to ferric iron, the resulting ferric solids to be backwashed from the heavy filtration media, will often clog an upper basket screen, so an upper basket is usually not utilized. To diffuse the incoming water flow above the filtration media, an umbrella style diffuser is recommended.
That makes sense. I guess I'll let it BW one more cycle then replace it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks