Any suggestions and ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
NO to jets. Final answer.

to be precise, tell us whether you mean air jets, or water jets. Both can be called jets, or whirlpool tub.

In both cases, i say no. Especially water jets. I know someone who works for a large tub maker, in technical support. Based on what I hear, most owners only use the jets until the novelty wears off. Water jets are difficult to keep hygienic and safe. Stagnant water. And they are noisy.

david

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yep... can't tell you how many people I know who turned their outdoor hot tub into a really nice goldfish pond/water garden. The novelty does wear off.

BennyBaby

Reaction score
Ask a woman about bathtubs...they are the experts.
My wife loves to use the jets, She usually uses the full features of the tub when she gets in. We also have an in-line heater that keeps the water from cooling below 104 F, a great feature when you are in the water for more than 20minutes.

Jet tubs..Need more water to operate...if you have limited hot water capability that is a problem. Standard tubs, maybe you need 3 inches deep to bathe, jet-tubs must have enuf water to submerse the intake and jets.

Jet-tubs are noisy, but it isn't a major problem since we don't bathe 24 hours a day.
Heated jet tubs are hot! If you have medical problems like hypertension, dizzy spells, poor health, bad heart, etc. BEWARE, that swirling hot water can make you feel faint.
Water is trapped in the internal plumbing..what that means to us, I am not sure...I don't think black gobs of fungus will form. I eat food that falls on the floor, not worried about germs, Taco Bell will kill you before a jet tub.

Remember simple things last longer, jet tubs have parts that will not last as long as the tub itself. Leaks can occur, motors will wear out, and switches will break.

It will not significantly increase the value of your house..the value of your house is determined by your "neighborhood," quality of the surroundings, quality of schools, and class, (yes class!) of people. Real Estate brokers will analyze what buyers are willing to spend by researching what other homes nearby have sold for. Remember the first rule of real estate is "location, location, location" If you live next to a 6 lane road and factories, a hot tub with live-in supermodels won't increase your home re-sale value.

need a reason to by a whirlpool tub still? They feel great!!!!! That is all.

chubyball

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am replacing the old steal tub 30x60 with accrylic tub 32x60. My question of plumbing about the center drain, overflow drain of the tub will be off a may be by one inch from center of the tub, will this a be a big problem?

I also measure the distance between the center toilet to the wall, it got about 50 inches. From calculate with mininum distance between from the edge of the tub where 32 inch up to the center hole of the toilet I got 18 inches. Am I safe with the distance before install 32 inch tub?

Do I have to relocate the shower valve and plumbing pipe of showers since the new tub is bigger the original tub than 2 inches?

Thanks for any inputs.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
hj said:
I am sure the showroom in Trenton is happy to have spent tens of thousands of dollars on a showroom so you could see and try what you want before buying it at HD. You might be one person who I would have been happy to see get the typcial HD "defective" item.

??? :rolleyes:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
distance from toilet to tub is OK

chuby

your distance from toilet to tub is OK. Actually it could be even smaller; this is one distance the Code allows to be small, smaller than 15" even.

Benny,
glad to hear good about whirlpools. But would like to add that stagnant water can foster terrible diseases that kill, and this is one of the reasons why MAster Plumbers are tough sometimes, as they deal with life and death responsibilities. Not all stagnant water harbours bad micro organisms like Legionella or Salmonella or SARS or whatever... i don't want to give you nightmares, and i hope you don't mention any of this to your wife either. :)

david

chubyball

Reaction score
Almost close to finish

Here are some pics of accomplishing the bathroom. Still having problem with toilet, hasn't been able to install it yet.

Attachments

• floors.JPG
    floors.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 367
  • tub.JPG
    tub.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 328
  • vent and light.JPG
    vent and light.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 314

JohnD

Reaction score
Jaccuzzi has addressed the issue with bacterial growth in the lines. They now have a system that you can purchase and periodically flush it through your system. Air jets also will help with this, but there is considerable more cost involved.

On another note:

I am a salesman for one of the large retail hardware stores. We are successful not only because of purchasing power, but also because we are more consumer friendly. We have two plumbing supply stores in our small city, and they are successful because they cater to plumbers, and contractors. They tend to discourage the general public from shopping there on their own. They will be very helpful if the customer was sent in by a contractor, or a plumber, but if it is a DIYer not so much.

I have read many negative comments about the big box stores on line, and I'm sure many are justified it is retail. Having said that though I am in the top 5 out of 144 positions like mine in the midwest. I am online on sites just like this daily, to improve my knowledge so that I can help my customers to the best of my ability. So I wouldn't generalize and lump every store, and every employee into the same category.

Have a nice day:)

Last edited:

chubyball

Reaction score
How to do Knock down in bathroom ceiling

Any one can show me how to do knock down in bathroom ceiling?
Jeremy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks