Any significant construction difference between a 6 yr and 12 year heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pman6

Reaction score
Both aosmith and rheem have a gas water heater model that comes with an electronic flue damper and 12 year warranty and brass drain valve.

After gas company rebate, the net price is the same as the cheapest model in the store.

The problem is, I don't have an electrical outlet in the w.h room, and there are no electrical outlets in the adjacent rooms that I could easily tap into.
unless I drill a hole in the wall and just plug in the flue transformer in the bedroom next door, as a hack method.

In case I have to resort to the cheapest heater,
what I really want to know is... is there a significant difference in the tank construction metal/glass of a 6yr vs 12yr heater?

Phog

Reaction score
Typically just the anode is different. The 12yr will have a larger anode and/or a second additional anode. Otherwise you're basically just paying for a longer warranty on the same tank. The flue damper on the upgraded unit will make a fairly significant difference in the overall cost of ownership FYI. It prevents conditioned air from your house going up the chimney when the burner isn't running. Not to try and sway you one way or the other; just pointing out that grabbing an electric drop from somewhere could pay off. Is there a ceiling light in the W.H. room perhaps, available to tap off of?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks