Electrically controlled damper on Energy Star Rated New Unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
On the new Rheem 50 gallon WH I ordered, it has an electrically controlled damper. I think that's what gives it it's energy star rating. I will supposedly get a $350 dollar rebate, so it makes this less expensive than a cheaper unit.

My concern is adding another component that can break down as opposed to a natural drafting flue. As I live in Florida, I'm not concerned about power outages leaving me w/o hot water since it's most likely to occur during the hurricane season, where you almost don't need it for showering, the water is warm any way.

The negative reviews have a constant theme about a faulty flame vapor sensor and/or damper problems
Anyone have any feedback on these feature and/or this unit.

I currently have a Lochinvar 40 gallon gas going on 20 years old, can't purchase this brand locally however, so I seem stuck with monopolistic big box A or B

Model # XG50T12DM40U0
Performance Platinum 50 Gal. Tall 12 Year 40,000 BTU Natural Gas ENERGY STAR Tank Water Heater

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
So push back from local gas company over rebate, when filling out request, option to choose self install.

Sent all docs asked for with pictures including serial numbers on installed and uninstalled, now they want an invoice?? But it was self installed.

Think I should have gotten the cheaper unit w/o said rebate

Phog

Reaction score
So push back from local gas company over rebate, when filling out request, option to choose self install.

Sent all docs asked for with pictures including serial numbers on installed and uninstalled, now they want an invoice?? But it was self installed.

Think I should have gotten the cheaper unit w/o said rebate

Perhaps copies of the sales receipts for the water heater + the parts you used will do. Besides the hardware, the only thing on a plumber's invoice would be service charges, which is what you have taken care of yourself.

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
I suspect it's someone working off a checklist, oh, no invoice, ....reject....self installed there is no invoice. didn't put 2 + 2 together. I made my own invoice and re-sent. I'll see what happens

Clog

Reaction score
On the new Rheem 50 gallon WH I ordered, it has an electrically controlled damper. I think that's what gives it it's energy star rating. I will supposedly get a $350 dollar rebate, so it makes this less expensive than a cheaper unit.

My concern is adding another component that can break down as opposed to a natural drafting flue. As I live in Florida, I'm not concerned about power outages leaving me w/o hot water since it's most likely to occur during the hurricane season, where you almost don't need it for showering, the water is warm any way.

The negative reviews have a constant theme about a faulty flame vapor sensor and/or damper problems
Anyone have any feedback on these feature and/or this unit.

Model # XG50T12DM40U0
Performance Platinum 50 Gal. Tall 12 Year 40,000 BTU Natural Gas ENERGY STAR Tank Water Heater

Ok, it's been about a month now since you installed this electrically controlled damper Rheem hot water heater. How has it been working for you?
Does the fan noise bother you? Has the moving damper ever not moved when it was supposed to, causing the burner to fail safe off?

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Everything works perfectly so far, I don't hear any fan noise cause there is no fan, the damper opens and closes and adjusts as needed. Still natural draft venting though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks