Any ports after Charcoal, but before Softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

Groves

Reaction score
We have only moderately hard water (10gpg), with a good bit of chlorine from our city water. (1.4ppm avg)

We're getting 1.5cu-ft GAC and softener. On it's way.

The particular kidney issues in our household means we love all the sodium we can get. That's not why we're softening, but we're certainly not concerned about excess sodium, quite the opposite.

Planning out my new plumbing lines, and what to put where. I would love other's thoughts.

Here's what I have so far:

Pre-everything
shut-off
outside hose bibs

Post-GAC, Pre-softener
? not sure, special garden water line?

Post-GAC, Post-Softener
Bucket filler in basement
All showers and sinks
Hot Water heater
icemakers
possibly one outside hose-bib

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Sounds good. Chlorine is not good for most items other than to protect the water supply. In general it should be removed just prior to use.

Plumbing it to outdoor applications will use up its capacity quicker, but changing the carbon every 5 years is not difficult and it is fairly ineepensive. many companies will even send you the tank with the GAC and distributor installed, just swap the tank, reuse the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks