Another venting question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by gagecalman, Oct 30, 2017.

1. gagecalman

gagecalman Member

Hello to all,

This is new work done by someone licensed. Permitted and passed rough in inspection. IPC.

Based on the great info I've learned from this forum I have a few questions.

I am always trying to learn the correct way to do things.

The first picture shows the shower trap. The pipe drains to the left, turns down for 3' and into the 3" vertical. The pipe to the right goes up to the kitchen sink then out thru the roof. The kitchen drain is wet venting the shower. Is that correct?

The second picture is the laundry area. The 2" vent for the washer and utility sink goes up to the bathroom sink and then out thru the roof. Do they both need their own dry vents?

I still don't understand their use of tee's instead of wye's. I'm told it passes so it's fine.

In the fourth picture there are two lines draining into the main. One tee and one wye. I guess they were trying for 1 out of 2!

Thanks for reading and all of the great info!

Jim

Vent 5.jpg
    Vent 1.jpg Vent 3.jpg Vent 4.jpg Vent 2.jpg

2. gagecalman

gagecalman Member

I would appreciate any help with this.

I think correct venting is one of the most challenging aspects of residential plumbing.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    IPC
    Wet venting can be done with two bathroom groups on the same floor.
    Kitchen sinks, washers and laundry trays can't be wet vented nor can they be used to wet vent other fixtures.
    Horizontal changes of direction are wye fittings.
    Going from vertical to horizontal is a wye fitting.

You must have a pretty lax inspector there.

Dry vents
    Those can be tied together at least six inches above the flood level of the fixtures served. In most cases that's 42" off the floor.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    [​IMG]

In this bathroom, the lav wet vents the shower and the toilet. The vent is 2" through the roof.
    It's a bit hard to see, but the shower pulls off with a combo (wye and 45) and the drops into the line with the toilet with a 3x2 combo.

6. gagecalman

gagecalman Member

Thank you Terry, for a great site and also for your answers to my questions.

I believe I understand the DWV concept but have doubts when work like this is performed.

Again this is new work done by licensed plumbers. Permitted and passed rough in inspection. And it's not cheap.

This is the second job by this company and will probably be the last. Time to find someone new.

Thanks again and have a great evening!

Jim