Another venting question

Users who are viewing this thread

Gagecalman

Reaction score
Hello to all,

This is new work done by someone licensed. Permitted and passed rough in inspection. IPC.

Based on the great info I've learned from this forum I have a few questions.

I am always trying to learn the correct way to do things.

The first picture shows the shower trap. The pipe drains to the left, turns down for 3' and into the 3" vertical. The pipe to the right goes up to the kitchen sink then out thru the roof. The kitchen drain is wet venting the shower. Is that correct?

The second picture is the laundry area. The 2" vent for the washer and utility sink goes up to the bathroom sink and then out thru the roof. Do they both need their own dry vents?

I still don't understand their use of tee's instead of wye's. I'm told it passes so it's fine.

In the fourth picture there are two lines draining into the main. One tee and one wye. I guess they were trying for 1 out of 2!

Thanks for reading and all of the great info!

Jim

Vent 5.jpg

Vent 1.jpg
Vent 3.jpg
Vent 4.jpg
Vent 2.jpg

Gagecalman

Reaction score
I would appreciate any help with this.

I think correct venting is one of the most challenging aspects of residential plumbing.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
IPC
Wet venting can be done with two bathroom groups on the same floor.
Kitchen sinks, washers and laundry trays can't be wet vented nor can they be used to wet vent other fixtures.
Horizontal changes of direction are wye fittings.
Going from vertical to horizontal is a wye fitting.

You must have a pretty lax inspector there.

Dry vents
Those can be tied together at least six inches above the flood level of the fixtures served. In most cases that's 42" off the floor.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
arizman-04.jpg

In this bathroom, the lav wet vents the shower and the toilet. The vent is 2" through the roof.
It's a bit hard to see, but the shower pulls off with a combo (wye and 45) and the drops into the line with the toilet with a 3x2 combo.

Gagecalman

Reaction score
Thank you Terry, for a great site and also for your answers to my questions.

I believe I understand the DWV concept but have doubts when work like this is performed.

Again this is new work done by licensed plumbers. Permitted and passed rough in inspection. And it's not cheap.

This is the second job by this company and will probably be the last. Time to find someone new.

Thanks again and have a great evening!

Jim

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks