Another Question about Bathroom Sink with Overflow

Users who are viewing this thread

Fragille Bill

Reaction score
I assume the black gunk below the overflow holes and above the rubber gasket is the result of drain water getting out through the overflow holes. What problems will it cause if I replace this drain with one that has no holes for overflow, other than the obvious problem of the bathroom flooding if the sink gets overfilled? Thank you for any responses.

Attachments

• tailpiece.jpg
    tailpiece.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 57

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
leak in the putty is one way. My opinion is its sloppy plumbing , why would you not use the proper fittings ? maybe google lav strainer with overflow

Fragille Bill

Reaction score
leak in the putty is one way. My opinion is its sloppy plumbing , why would you not use the proper fittings ? maybe google lav strainer with overflow
If I use a drain with no overflow holes, it would be to keep drain water from escaping out the overflow holes and sitting below the overflow holes and above the rubber gasket where it can stink. I'm trying to learn if there is any drawback to what seems to be a cleaner way to plumb the drain, other than the obvious drawback of flooding the bathroom if the sink is overfilled.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Other than the drains not being readily available and not having use of the overflow the only drawback is if water does go onto the overflow there no way for it to drain and no airflow to help it dry up.

Fragille Bill

Reaction score
Other than the drains not being readily available and not having use of the overflow the only drawback is if water does go onto the overflow there no way for it to drain and no airflow to help it dry up.
Thank you for your response. I'm having no trouble in finding drains available with no overflow holes. If a little water does splash into the sink overflow hole, it seems like it would drain into the same place that water ends up when it escapes out the drain overflow holes: the space below the flange and above the rubber gasket.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I'm having no trouble in finding drains available with no overflow holes. If a little water does splash into the sink overflow hole, it seems like it would drain into the same place that water ends up when it escapes out the drain overflow holes: the space below the flange and above the rubber gasket.
Huh?

Readily available and available are different things.

If you remove the holes that would normally drain water then the water doesn't drain. I'm not sure how else to spell it out. Your creating a chamber that doesn't have a drain as the bottom gasket is the seal.

Reach4

Reaction score
There are sinks that have no overflow, such as many vessel sinks, and those do not drain as well. Not only does an overflow slow the rise of water over the sink rim, it vents the area below the stopper.

Fragille Bill

Reaction score
Huh?

Readily available and available are different things.

If you remove the holes that would normally drain water then the water doesn't drain. I'm not sure how else to spell it out. Your creating a chamber that doesn't have a drain as the bottom gasket is the seal.
There are numerous drains on Amazon right now that can be purchased with overflow or without overflow.

I don't understand your second sentence. If I install a drain without overflow holes, do a good putty job under the flange, and seal the sink overflow so that a splash of water cannot enter the sink overflow, then all water that exits the sink has to go down the drain and through the tailpiece. The drain/tailpiece that I removed had overflow holes through which water could (and sometimes did) exit, creating the gunk that you can see in the picture.

Fragille Bill

Reaction score
There are sinks that have no overflow, such as many vessel sinks, and those do not drain as well. Not only does an overflow slow the rise of water over the sink rim, it vents the area below the stopper.
Thank you for your response. The sink in my second bathroom has no overflow. I tested it and it drains fine. I also tested the sink I am working on (the sink with an overflow) by sealing the overflow with packing tape. It also drained fine. So I still haven't found a reason not to install a 'drain for a sink with no overflow'. I'm the only user of the sink and not inclined to turn the water on and walk away.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are numerous drains on Amazon right now that can be purchased with overflow or without overflow.

I don't understand your second sentence. If I install a drain without overflow holes, do a good putty job under the flange, and seal the sink overflow so that a splash of water cannot enter the sink overflow, then all water that exits the sink has to go down the drain and through the tailpiece. The drain/tailpiece that I removed had overflow holes through which water could (and sometimes did) exit, creating the gunk that you can see in the picture.
Seal the sink overflow? Why would you do this? To prove a point? Anything you use to seal it will come loose. I think you already know what am telling you about this, but your going back and saying your going to seal the overflow to not seem silly.

Readily doesn't mean order from Amazon. Readily means go to a local hardware store and buy. Ican probably order about anything in the world, but that doesn't make it readily available.

I feel like I bought my house from you. I find a lot of things that are like "why would someone do this?"

The answer, becuse you want to.

Last edited:

Fragille Bill

Reaction score
Seal the sink overflow? Why would you do this? To prove a point? Anything you use to seal it will come loose. I think you already know what am telling you about this, but your going back and saying your going to seal the overflow to not seem silly.

Readily doesn't mean order from Amazon. Readily means go to a local hardware store and buy. Ican probably order about anything in the world, but that doesn't make it readily available.

I feel like I bought my house from you. I find a lot of things that are like "why would someone do this?"

The answer, becuse you want to.
I would seal the overflow because I don't need it. Sealing the overflow would prevent a splash of water from entering the overflow channel. If water cannot enter the overflow channel, then I can use a drain/tailpiece with no overflow holes. A drain/tailpiece with no overflow holes means that drops of water cannot escape through those holes and sit above the rubber seal and ferment.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would seal the overflow because I don't need it. Sealing the overflow would prevent a splash of water from entering the overflow channel. If water cannot enter the overflow channel, then I can use a drain/tailpiece with no overflow holes. A drain/tailpiece with no overflow holes means that drops of water cannot escape through those holes and sit above the rubber seal and ferment.
home depot , lowes, amazon all have a correct strainer is something special /unusual about the sink ?

Reach4

Reaction score
To prevent water from leaking down the threads, put putty on the threads before tightening the nut. That should fill any gap.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I were worried about water being trapped around the overflow holes I would just make them larger or elongate the hole with a slot for draining.

Fragille Bill

Reaction score
If I were worried about water being trapped around the overflow holes I would just make them larger or elongate the hole with a slot for draining.
Yes, that was my worry. But after considering the advice from you and the others who responded, I feel that I'm making much ado about nothing. Attached is a picture of my new drain complete with overflow holes. John Gayewski, Jeff H Young, Reach 4... thanks for your help!

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 71

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've had a similar issue where the overflow chamber and the overflow in the drain assembly didn't align very well that caused some stink. I carefully marked the depth of the overflow chamber on my assembly and used my dremel tool to extend the weep holes to the furthest depth of the overflow chamber. Never heard anything from that client, so I assume it worked.

Fragille Bill

Reaction score
Just a follow-up... the picture below is looking down through the sink drain hole. The sink drain hole is about 2 inches deep and you can see the overflow hole. Let's say there's about 3/4 inches of sink drain above the overflow hole and 3/4 inches below it. The drain assembly does not fit snuggly into the sink drain hole, and I assume this is common. But this means there is a space between the outside of the drain assembly and the inside of the sink drain hole which can hold water that splashes out through the overflow holes in the drain assembly. Is it just accepted that there will be about 3/4 inches of water residing in this space?

Attachments

• drain hole.jpg
    drain hole.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 52
  • drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 44

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
too me lavs and drains are not built that well and not very standardized. Ive come to accept it if it dosent leak thats a good thing. modifying for better fit is a good idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks