American Standard Vormax Slow Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidLeXK

Reaction score
New time homeowner, so now we're in charge of all of our fixes. We noticed our toilet running every hour or two, and noticed a very slight leak from the tank into the bowl. It's the vormax system which I've never seen before, so it has two flaps.

I've changed 3 different flaps, replaced the whole inside besides the fill valve. There is no water leaking on the outside of the toilet. All new seals and everything... Any help would be much appreciated! TIA.

heritage-06.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For starters make sure the fill tube is kept higher than the overflow tube.

fluidmaster-air-gap.jpg

If the tubing is placed down the overflow it can siphon water from the tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
As a test, turn off the stop valve at the wall. Does the water level continue to drop 3/4 inches? If it only drops 1/2 inch and stops, set the fill valve to fill one notch lower. What I suspect is happening is that your water level is set too high. Water creeps up that refill clip by capillary action, and then goes down the overflow tube.

A leaky flapper will cause the cycling that you describe, but your water level looks higher than normal. With a leaky flapper, the water level will continue to drop once you close the stop valve.

index.php

The seal, 7381424-100.007A

Last edited by a moderator:

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Not a plumber or a pro. I wonder if you have the water level set too high in the tank. A few year back, I had mine right up to the overflow pipe. Whenever someone would sit on the toilet, small amount of water would go down the overflow pipe and there would be a small phantom flush.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks