Aermotor submersible well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

laborer90

Reaction score
10 years ago I had a Aermotor T20, 3/4 hp, 20 gpm, 2 wire pump installed on my 6" drilled well. Our water is on the acidic side and we have iron. Every 2-3 years I pull the pump and clean the inlet screen and put new 1" pvc pipe on. The well is only 25 feet deep and the pvc pipe is 17 feet long. This pump is used for our house water and also our sprinkler system. I noticed our pressure with the sprinkler system on was down to 36 psi, so I figured the pump was getting plugged again. I recently cleaned the screen and put new pipe on. When I run my sprinkler system now it maintains 48 psi. Normally after cleaning and new pipe I can hold 56 psi. Could this be a sign that the impellers are plugged or worn and the pump nearing the end of its life. If the pump was used only for house water we wouldn't know there was any problem going on. I tried to look this pump up online, but can't find anyone who sells Aermotor.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah one of the bigger companies acquired Aermotor and you won't see them anymore. It doesn't necessarily mean the pump is wearing out, but the impellers could be clogged like the screen. You might be able to run some stuff through the pump and clean it out a bit if the flow or pressure get below acceptable limits.

laborer90

Reaction score
Yeah one of the bigger companies acquired Aermotor and you won't see them anymore. It doesn't necessarily mean the pump is wearing out, but the impellers could be clogged like the screen. You might be able to run some stuff through the pump and clean it out a bit if the flow or pressure get below acceptable limits.

laborer90

Reaction score
I contacted the company by email this morning that acquired Aermotor. I was inquiring if they still make the pump I have but have renamed it. Hoping to hear from them tomorrow. I see online that they sell complete pumps w/motors and they also sell just pump ends and just motors. Do people just buy the pump end and use the existing motor?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A gently used motor could have many years of life left in it. The pump could suffer an early death from upthrust or sand ingestion.

The labour time and cost is a consideration whether to replace the motor with the pump.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would change the entire unit, motor & wetend. If for no other reason than if there was an issue with the entire unit, it would be easy to warranty.

laborer90

Reaction score
Looking at replacing the pump and motor in the spring. What Make and model would users recommend?

laborer90

Reaction score
That would be an 18GS07 and yes Goulds is a good pump.
Thank you again! In the area I live in, the well drillers use Sta-Rite and Berkeley. I think mainly because the company that owns them is based out of my home state of Wisconsin. If I'm reading posts on this forum correctly, these are pumps to stay away from?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Berkeley & StaRite changed the windings in their motors from copper to aluminum and there were a lot of failures. We installed a 1hp-5 that didn't last a year. Under a load it would bind up, lay it on the ground it would run. Pulled it apart and found the shaft had grooves worn in it caused by wear due to deflection. A bearing in the center of the stack would've prevented that wear.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I've used Sta-Rite/Berkeley for years without any problems. But they now make their own motor and have melted several more companies into the stew. Craigpump probably has the most experience with their recent products and says he is having problems. I think his problems have been mostly with the 7 and 10 GPM series, but not sure.

Edit; You beat me to it. :)

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Put it this way, I can buy and & install any pump on the market. Franklin, Goulds, Red Jacket, StaRite, F&W....but I install Grundfos. I have a 3/4-7 Grundfos in my own well. What better testimony is there?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks