Advise on connecting tub on slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob Cooper

Reaction score
I'd like some advise on how to make this connection and i also realize that I may need to undo what I've done. Platform tub on slab. 2" roughed in drain line. I went ahead and connected the overflow and drain as a unit...to the tub but it's unclear to me (a) if the order is right...should I have not done this yet and (b) how to make this connection. I'm sure I'm going to need to raise the platform some -- what you see right now is the tub sitting flush on the deck before durock/tile so without me raising the deck the unit will rise about 3/4" but I think I'll need to add another 1.5" to have some working room.

I figured I'd use a 2" street 90 and then ??maybe?? some flexible 1.5" PVC to connect this but advice sure is welcome.

2022-01-16 10.00.19.jpg
2022-01-17 19.18.41.jpg
2022-01-17 19.31.35.jpg
2022-01-17 19.31.42.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're going to need to chip up some concrete to get that riser to connect properly to the tub waste and overflow.

The tub is going to rest on that chipboard top? Or on top of tile on top of a water resistant backer board on top of that deck? Either way you need to determine the finished height of where that tub will live. Set a base under the tub legs that the entire weight of the tub will rest on the legs, not the rim. Once you've got the tub sitting exactly where it will live then you can plumb from the waste and overflow to the stub up. Aim the tub shoe directly at the stub and place your san tee vertical on the stub aimed at your shoe.. use 45's to connect the overflow to the top of the san tee. Once the PVC has cured, you can take your strainer and overflow cover off and remove the tub or it can just stay there depending on how you're finishing around it.

I find that tubs set first and tiled around tend to get water infiltration more than tubs set on top of finished tile.

Bob Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks...Also I'm assuming it's normal practice for a plumber to put the trap in/below the slab.

Yes the tub will sit on top of CBU/tile but supported by the feet -- i.e. the feet will carry the load but I'll tile the deck and then set the tub on top of the tile. So it sounds like the order is as follows..

- set tub a finished height
- mount the san tee on the stub...aimed at the tubs drain.
- plumb that connection (san tee to drain) -- so leave drain off until this connection is made. Question...how do you tighten the drain from above?
I can't really even tell how to remove the stopper (it's a pull/twist style).
- then connect top of san tee to overflow using 45's

Any reason to not finish the tub deck before the above is done vs. after?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks...Also I'm assuming it's normal practice for a plumber to put the trap in/below the slab.
You need to confirm there's a trap there by adding some water and then checking for standing water in the trap. Either by eyeball or with a long rag that would get wet at the end.

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Question...how do you tighten the drain from above?
Most drains if not all, are intended to be screwed together with a rubber gasket under the tub to make the seal and plumbers putty or similar to keep the tub from dripping water into the drain. The shoe, the plastic PVC part under has female threads and the metal finished part above has male threads. In theory, you can later unthread the strainer from the shoe and remove the overflow and pull out the tub from the finished deck.

Bob Cooper

Reaction score
Most drains if not all, are intended to be screwed together with a rubber gasket under the tub to make the seal and plumbers putty or similar to keep the tub from dripping water into the drain. The shoe, the plastic PVC part under has female threads and the metal finished part above has male threads. In theory, you can later unthread the strainer from the shoe and remove the overflow and pull out the tub from the finished deck.
what's not obvious is how the drain stopper even comes out. If i'm going to set the tub and install the drain after the fact (glue the part connecting the shoe to the san tee) i need a way to screw that drain in from above using some kind of leverage. So i'm thinking the drain stopper comes out and with that out of the way i can get ahold of the cross members and screw it in w/sufficient force to push the putty out, etc.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, you need to remove the stopper. Some of them, depending on style, you would lift it partially up which engages a half moon shape and allows the assembly to be removed. Some styles the knob on top unthreads revealing a slotted screw to remove the shaft.

The stopper is typically threaded into the center cross bars of the strainer.

Here is a breakdown on all the parts to one of the more common style of tub waste and overflow.

watco_innovator.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks