Advice on sewage backup with belly in line.

Discussion in 'Drain Cleaning' started by Mseti, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Mseti

Mseti New Member

Here's a video of the main sewage line: https://streamable.com/c08dxu

House was built in 2009, I only lived here for 2 years.

Suddenly, after draining a bathtub, the basement main sewage drain backed up. I had no issues with backup anywhere else in the house nor known any issues from the past.

I called the plumber and he snaked, jetted, and tried to clear the scum off the sides of the pipe. However, he stated that there is a large belly/sump in the pipe (approximately 26 feet of it) and that to fix it will cost approximately $10000 dollars.

Here's the thing, I am not planning on staying in the house longer than a few more years and am also planning to sell the house.

I asked the plumber how long this bandaid solution would work and it seems like there's an inconclusive answer, granted, he doesn't know what I could be putting down the drains. So my questions are:

Do you think that if I treat the drains well, could I last a few more years?

Is the belly bad enough that it's an emergency and requires immediate action?

Thank you everyone for your help!

2. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

Is it ok if it backs up again? or do you need 100 percent chance it wont happen again? If the latter then have work done. 2 years with one problem perhaps jet the sewer every year, use care on the drains as far as garbage disposal, baby wipes and such. Maybe blast it out with a garden hose or do your own jetting .
    Couldnt view the video, but its hard to say "how bad an installation is good enough to work" if that makes sence but a belly is never good. Good Luck!

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement