Advice Needed for New Home Filter/Softner Install

Users who are viewing this thread

TX-Tim

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of getting a home built and wanted to prepare for getting a carbon filter/softner installed in Georgetown, TX area. Our previous home (Dallas) had a Rainsoft system installed, so we know we want to go back to a softner, especially since the rental we are in not does not have anything. I am just not looking to pay Rainsoft $$$.

The house will be roughly 3000 ft2, with 3.5 bathrooms. There are 2 adults + 2 kids (under 6).
With all the information out there, I've not 100% sure on what size the system needs to be.

Current water usage: varies between 4-6K gallon a month, but want to ensure it is sized for when kids get older.

I purchased a water test kit (Health Metric) and got the following from the model house:

** City Water **
pH: 9.5
Alkalinity: 500 ppm
Chlorine: 1.0 ppm
Hardness: 250 ppm
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0.2 ppm
Copper: 0.05 ppm
Iron: Color seemed to be between 0 & 0.3 ppm

** Is this test kit ok, or should I get a "real" test **

The water loop installed is 1" PEX tubing.

If have been looking at the Fleck 5810 valves

I know I want 10% crosslinked resin, but not sure if 1.5 or 2.0 ft3 is needed as I want to ensure this is good as the kids get older. Rainsoft person only recommended 1.0 ft3

The city report shows they use Chloramine, so I know it needs to be Catalytic Carbon, but again, 1.5 or 2.0 ft3. The Rainsoft system we had in Dallas was not back washing, but I am leaning toward one.

I'm also include a picture of the water loop and drain pipes. I'm used to seeing them vertically over each other. Which is intended for the drain and which is the clean-out? I'm thinking the first one from vent line is the clean-out (one on right).

Also, is there any real benefit to doing a sediment filter in front of everything? For some reason I found myself trying to model the Aquasana setup.

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or insights you can provide.

Attachments

• plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 225

Reach4

Reaction score
** Is this test kit ok, or should I get a "real" test **
Yes, get a real lab test. I did not read up on your test.

Based on your numbers a 1.5 cubic ft softener would regenerate maybe every 9 days or so with 4 people. That presumed 0.3 iron, but the reality is that there would be about zero iron in city water by the time it got to the customer. Using a 2.0 cubic ft system would not be a waste; it would regenerate less often. But 1.5 is a good size based on usual methods.

I don't know about sizing the carbon tank.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Most cities post an annual water test report online. Even if not online, they will provide a copy upon the request of a resident. Although this will eliminate the need for you to have testing performed, water hardness will need to be determined at your location. A Hach 5B test kit is recommended since an 'average' hardness level the city will often state, is not suitable for programming a softener.

With 3.5 baths, there is potential for multiple fixtures to be running at the same time. Each softener capacity has a different service flow rate which if exceeded, will allow hardness to leak through. Here is a link to an info page which discusses sizing a softener in consideration of the flow rate required. https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/48-49

A carbon filter system also has an effective flow rate which is between 1-3 gpm per ft3 of carbon media. A flow range is indicated as each 'contaminant' to be filtered out will have a different contact duration requirement with the carbon before full removal will take place. A larger quantity of carbon will allow for a higher flow rate before some amount of contaminants will begin to leak through.

While a 1.5 ft3 system will be often adequate for an average smaller home, a larger system will be needed to support the higher flow rate requirements expected in a larger home with a higher fixture count.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
slightly larger equipment is preferred. Better efficiencies and better water quality will be achieved especially at higher flow rates.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
As others said, flow rate will play a big part. I just installed a new softener but my water is much harder than yours at about 800ppm, so I went with the 2.0cf and a flow rate of 20gpm (which our well can maybe push 15gpm). I looked into a backwashing carbon filter, but they really seemed to restrict the flow a lot. The highest flow rate ones I found were at uswatersystems.com That's where I purchased a softener from a few weeks ago. I will say their pre sales staff is very knowledgeable and quick turn around. I had a couple questions after my installation and they have not been answered in a few days, so I'm concerned a little bit, but at least they are located in Indiana (I think) and have a real live number and people to talk to if I really need to get an answer. I do like that the softener has an app for your phone to control all the settings and tells you the gpm and gallons used and treated, etc.

Reach4

Reaction score
For city water, get the report from the water department/company. I doubt that any public water pipeline would send pH 9.5 water to homes. I don't trust your home test.

If you cannot get a suitable report, we can suggest a lab water test. Some are more comprehensive, and some are less expensive but still do the important stuff.

Chlorine/chloromine is one that you may realistically do from home. The city test will not tell the chlorine/chlormine level at your house because the level drops with time.

TX-Tim

Reaction score
Ok, here are the results from NTL

** City Water **

Calcium: 50.8 mg/L
Magnesium: 17.49 mg/L
Iron: ND
Alkalinity: 160 mg/L
TDS: 240 mg/L
Hardness: 200 mg/L
pH: 7.3

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks