Adding wash tub to garage laundry

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim G -DIY

Reaction score
3A3CD455-2B92-4312-938A-C4839E45630B.jpeg

I would like to add a utility sink to a laundry setup in my garage. The current plumbing is shown.
Can I just cut the drain (trap and standpipes) and drain the washer in the tub?
Would this drain be vented already or could it be just through the stand pipe? The second pipe was for a condensation drain for HVAC which is now pumped outside.

Any help would be helpful.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The washing machine needs a 2" trap so generally you'd drain the laundry tub into the stand pipe. If you can find a laundry tub with a 2"opening and trap then there's no reason not to drain into the laundry tub other than it can cause sudsing. There are some laundry tubs that have cutout attachments to drain a washing machine into them, not sure how well they perform.

Reach4

Reaction score
OP appears to be in upstate NY, which would indicate IPC.

Is that a heated garage? Is that standpipe 1.5 inch (1.9 inch OD), or is it 2 inch (2.375 OD)?

Last edited:

Jim G -DIY

Reaction score
OP appears to be in upstate NY, which would indicate IPC.

Is that a heated garage? Is that standpipe 1.5 inch (1.9 inch OD), or is it 2 inch (2.375 OD)?

It’s actually in Florida. I believe 2”

Jim G -DIY

Reaction score
Is it acceptable to leave the 2” standpipe and drain the tub into the second pipe using a P trap on the sink? Would an AA valve be needed?

Jim G -DIY

Reaction score
Is it acceptable to leave the 2” standpipe and drain the tub into the second pipe using a P trap on the sink? Would an AA valve be needed?

Attachments

• 1985C7CE-946C-4C04-9C95-DAB30C88D23B.jpeg
    1985C7CE-946C-4C04-9C95-DAB30C88D23B.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 110

Reach4

Reaction score
If using the AAV and sink trap, you would inject after the laundry trap has been vented.

I think it would be fine without the AAV or the trap, but I don't know that the code allows that. Here is something that is specifically allowed:
index.php

Your pipe out of the existing trap may already be vented, so adding the AAV would not be needed.
If you could meet the distance restriction, then

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You technically don't need a trap as your draining into a trap. You could do it the way you have drawn, but I don't see the extra trap and vent as necessary.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can see its definately a 2 inch standpipe with wye off in 1 1/2" I would put a 2x2x1 1/2 " santee above wye and gu to the new sink without a additional p trap . No idea what that 1 1/2" is doing ??? its possible that is somethging goofy that puts a change to things

Jim G -DIY

Reaction score
I can see its definately a 2 inch standpipe with wye off in 1 1/2" I would put a 2x2x1 1/2 " santee above wye and gu to the new sink without a additional p trap . No idea what that 1 1/2" is doing ??? its possible that is somethging goofy that puts a change to things

I think the 1-1/2 pipe was a drain for the AC unit. It is no longer used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks