Adding Second Pressure Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Bill Braun

Reaction score
Had the plumber out because I had no water pressure. Turned out to be a blown fuse (frn-r-8). He replaced the fuse with a frn-r-10. The pressure tank I have is very small (4.6 gallon). He said the fuse may have blown because the system recycles quite often. He suggested adding an additional 33 gallon pressure tank. As I understood him I would just tap into to 3/4" supply line. What fittings will I need to do this. My system is mostly pex. Will I need all this?http://www.amazon.com/Installation-Pressure-SQUARE-pressure-switch/dp/B00SW0E26I/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1448058262&sr=8-16&keywords=well pressure tank?

or just a tank T that I will tie into the supply line?

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Reach4

Reaction score
You should not need all of that to just supplement your current pressure tank. You would not, for example need a new pressure switch, pressure gauge, etc. If that tank tee looks like it will make things easier, you could incorporate it.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
4.6 gallon tank is all you need if you add a CSV. A 33 gallon pressure tank only holds 8 gallons of water. Eliminating cycling with a CSV is much better than having the pump cycle every time you use 8 gallons of water.

Bill Braun

Reaction score
Here is my setup. It is a system to deal with radon in the water and a softener. My well flow rate is not great. Around 1 gpm. The well is into a rock fracture that holds about 500 gallons. We have further storage in the tank you see in the picture. We have not had a problem of running out of water. Where would I install the CSV? If I did add a larger tank I believe that I would install it on the water line before it gets to the pressure tank. Do I simply connect it to the water line with a T fitting?

Thank you for the help...

Bill

Attachments

• DSC_0514.JPG
    DSC_0514.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 733

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Lots of radon systems use CSVs. Just put a CSV1A between the pump and the pressure tank. Then all the cycling will go away and you won't need an additional or larger pressure tank.

A larger pressure tank would cause your nice clean radon free water to sit in a rubber bag for long periods of time. When using a CSV and the small tank you get fresher water right from the source.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
The pressure switch will need to be at the/a pressure tank. Should go without saying, but I thought I would say it anyway.

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
Bill,

I must comment on the fuse replacement by your plumber. He replaced an 8 amp fuse with a 10 amp. That is NOT a good practice. The system was designed with the 8 amp fuse for a reason - to protect your pump motor. I understand that people often do oversize the fuses to "get by" temporarily in a situation and avoid the nuisance fuse replacements, but I would urge you to replace the fuse with the correct size soon.

Electrical circuit protection devices like fuses and circuit breakers are designed to protect your equipment. They are already oversized by a certain margin in the first place. Beefing them up or exceeding that margin is reducing the protection zone for your equipment.

RADAR

ACWxRADR

Reaction score
I should add to my post comments above. If you are blowing fuses that are appropriately sized, you have a problem beyond the size of your pressure tank. Something else is wrong and adding additional storage capacity isn't going to fix the problem. Installing a larger fuse will just delay the inevitable failure of the system. You must investigate the problem that caused the overcurrent condition which opened the fuse in the first place and correct it. The higher amperage fuse may buy you a little time to investigate this problem, but it isn't going to go away or improve. The 10 amp fuse will eventually blow, too. ZYou could replace it with a 15 amp fuse and then whatever the problem really is will soon become apparent. But, you might burn up your wires and or destroy your pump in the process.

RADAR

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks