Adding Garage Sink - Can I stack sanitary tees?

Users who are viewing this thread

jamesc

Reaction score
I want to add a utility sink to a garage and ideally use a 1.5" drain line that was initially installed to capture the regen water from a softener. The softener is located in a machine room and drains, via 0.5" PEX, into the open end of an exposed 1.5" ABS drain pipe that runs in vertical orientation along the machine room wall. That section of pipe is p-trapped at the bottom and connects via a sanitary tee to a dedicated drain/vent line inside the wall separating the machine room and garage. As luck would have it, the perfect place for me to tee into this drain line, from the garage side, is just below where the softener waste pipe tees in. (Orange arrow in schematic). Can I stack sanitary tees and share this vent/drain line? Is there a functional and/or code issue with this? (I could use a double sanitary tee but it's not ideal because it would mean dropping the softener p-trap to the floor level of the machine room, which is 18.5in higher than the garage floor). Many thanks.

1681233812003.png

Last edited:

Robert Gift

Reaction score
What did you end up doing?
Appears perfectly reasonable what you planned.
Would code want a Wye for the utility sink instead of a sanitary Tee?

We use our illegal garage utility sink all the time. Just used it for washing my hands with a dishsoap dispenser after doing an oil change.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just to clearly answer the original question that got missed.

Yes. It would be legal to add a San Tee under the San Tee of the softener drain connection. That added branch would need a vent for the sink that would connect to the existing vent or use an AAV if allowed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks