Adding 3rd floor bathroom to pre-existing drain stack

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Classe

Reaction score
Charlotte - NC:

I've been thinking about this project on and off for a few years and I've finally had some time to sit and plan it. 3 story single family house, second owner. During construction, an independent waste stack was run to the 3rd floor and capped. The previous owners didn't want a bathroom on the 3rd floor. I do. The independent stack is capped right under an area perfect for a bathroom, but it is really tight under the floor. I can't get 1/8" fall if I use a traditional closet bend which is why I'm using the 45 degree flange into a wye. Everything in black was there when I bought the house, red is what I'm proposing to add. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

3rdFloor1.jpg

Mike

Stuff

Reaction score
  1. You can change to 2" upstream of the toilet
  2. Instead of 45º closet bend, use normal 90º going to horizontal wye?
  3. Tie the shower in between the toilet and lav.
  4. Instead of AAV go through the roof for a real vent.

Michael Classe

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your feedback! This required some additional design changes to incorporate, hopefully I'm getting closer. Appreciate any comments.

1) You can change to 2" upstream of the toilet.
Done
2) Instead of 45º closet bend, use normal 90º going to horizontal wye?
Done
3) Tie the shower in between the toilet and lav.
Since we changed the arrangement, the shower is now the most downstream fixture and should accept the horizontal wet vent, right?
4) Instead of AAV go through the roof for a real vent.
I put an option to connect to the existing vent stack / stack vent. It's going to take a run of 25' of 2" to get there, so I'd really prefer to utilize an AAV unless there is a really good reason not to.

3rdFloor2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks