Adaquate jet pump for 80ft well and 13 feet bewteen pump and seal?

Users who are viewing this thread

hatenewcrapjohn

Reaction score
We had a grundfos it was a 90's make with an AO smitch 3/4 hp motor. The thing lasted 25 plus years but i just wonder if the Red lion RJC - 75 3/4 hp motor has the stuff to work well for my well or does it need to be rated higher in feet in order to pull from that depth providing if i get a dry spell?

hatenewcrapjohn

Reaction score
I see that was mostly my thinking what i have in mind for the replacement is the Pentair simer 3/4 hp 3307P model. Id go with a submersible model but being this is a bit hard water with iron and being only 80ft seems to me like it would cycle constantly and i don't wish to change my pressure tank which is a darn good one it's a well mate 20 gallon tank i think and that fits me just fine running a 30/50 split. Then theres putting a pump into hard iron water which seems like it would shorten it's life span and i don't really want touch it for a considerble long time but i would otherwise if it would give me close to the same life span.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Even though the well is 80' deep, a single pipe shallow well jet pump will only work if the water level doesn't get any lower than about 25' deep. Any deeper and you will need a two pipe jet pump or a submersible. The iron won't hurt the submersible anymore than the jet pump. If the water level is less than about 40' you can use one of these submersibles, which can be purchased for about 170 bucks. They work great in a shallow well or a cistern. https://www.ebay.com/p/18030648622?iid=290825831348

But any pump you buy will not be made as good as the one you got 25 years ago. Jet pump or submersible, the only way to make a pump last is to reduce or eliminate the cycling on and off. Since a 20 gallon pressure tank only holds 5 gallons of water, either type pump will cycle on and off for every 5 gallons used. Adding a Cycle Stop Valve before your pressure tank will not only stop the pump cycling, but will make the pump, tank, and everything else last loner, and will give you strong constant 45 PSI when using water instead of feeling it change from 30 to 50 over and over.

CSV1A 20 gal tank cross.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks