Adapter won't come off kitchen faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Chloe85

Reaction score
I purchased a portable washing machine. Before installing the hoses to the kitchen faucet, I removed the aerator from the faucet, then I screwed the adapter (that came with the washing machine) onto the faucet. Now I'm returning the washer and am unable to remove the adapter from the faucet (picture shown below).

I only had it on there for a minute before it was impossible to get back off, so it's not an issue of corrosion or heavy water - I'm thinking it must be due to a threading issue.

I tried using the pliers shown below to remove it but that isn't working. The pliers have a serrated edge that keeps slipping on the serrated edge of the adapter so maybe I need to use a set of pliers that don't have serrated edge/grooves?
I have a small pair of pliers that I thought might work but they were too small to wrap around the adapter (shown below) - not sure if a larger pair of something like this might work?

I'm not sure what to do - any suggestions are welcome. I'm worried that if I can't get it off myself that I would need to call someone to try to remove it and am worried that could become expensive (but hopefully at least it would be possible to come off and not need to remove the entire faucet housing).

I tried putting a bag with vinegar around the faucet/adapter overnight just in case that might help loosen it. I also tried spraying it with WD40 but that's not working.

Any suggestions on what tools to use and methods to get this removed are much appreciated. Thanks.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
From the top view, you turn the adapter clockwise to remove it.

It's a miss matched threads or you cross threaded it. When trying to remove the adapter with pliers you may have crushed the adapter or faucet and it is no longer round. If you have strong hands use channel lock type pliers that get around the adapter as much as possible. Vice grips may also work. With vice grip be careful not to over do it but enough force not to distort the adapter. Place one hand on the adapter and faucet arm and hold the vice grip square when applying clockwise force (looking at it from the top).

Reach4

Reaction score
I like curved jaw locking pliers.
milwaukee-plier-sets-48-22-3402-4f_145.jpg

As WorthFlorida said, get the direction right.

Chloe85

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Regarding the direction, when I try to remove the adapter, I'm trying to turn the pliers (and the adapter) counterclockwise - just like I thought everything is tightened with clockwise and loosened with counter-clockwise. Are you saying to turn the opposite direction? I'm nearly positive I turned it clockwise to tighten it when I initially put it on.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you viewed from below, you tightened clockwise. If you viewed from above, it looked counterclockwise.

Chloe85

Reaction score
I'm just reaching straight ahead of me to tighten/untighten - when put it on I tightened turning to the right (clockwise). Now when trying to remove it, I'm reaching straight ahead and trying to turn to the left (counter-clockwise) - is this correct?

I'm not sure why my pictures aren't working. How are people getting images to work on this site? They were showing for me but probably because I was logged into Dropbox which is where I copied the image location from

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm just reaching straight ahead of me to tighten/untighten - when put it on I tightened turning to the right (clockwise). Now when trying to remove it, I'm reaching straight ahead and trying to turn to the left (counter-clockwise) - is this correct?
Most people have a kitchen sink where the aerator points down.
201119_256.png

So get a pencil, screw, or something. Rotate it clockwise a few times. Then continue rotating CW as you point the pencil at the underside of the faucet.

Or find a watch with a sweep second hand. Put the watch next to the aerator pointing down....

Chloe85

Reaction score
Most people have a kitchen sink where the aerator points down.
201119_256.png

So get a pencil, screw, or something. Rotate it clockwise a few times. Then continue rotating CW as you point the pencil at the underside of the faucet.

Or find a watch with a sweep second hand. Put the watch next to the aerator pointing down....

I think I get what you're saying now - so since it's technically upside down now that it's installed, it would have to be turned clockwise to be removed. I probably have been tightening it all along. Thanks! I will try this.

Chloe85

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help! It did turn out to be an issue with turning it the wrong way initially. I'm really grateful because I probably would have hired a contractor to come out and charge a huge amount to turn it the correct way to remove it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks