acrylic tub caulk

Users who are viewing this thread

Eagle71

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a deep gap to caulk in between a new tile floor and Kohler acrylic tub. Other than silicone (because it never seems to stick well to acrylic tubs) what caulk is most reliable and doesn't shrink too much? Color isn't an issue. I could use regular siliconized acrylic tile caulk but it always shrinks so much. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your best bet is 100% silicon caulk. Depending on the depth of the joint, it can work better to use foam backer rod in there first, then caulk. You may have to search for the proper diameter. This forces the caulk into an hour-glass shape, and it will stretch more reliably and not tend to tear itself off of one edge or the other. The other thing it does is lets you make the joint with less caulk.

If you fill the tub with water prior to installing the caulk, the gap will tend to be the maximum it can be - leave the water in there while the caulk cures at least overnight, longer if you can stand it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks