Accidental cut into 1 1/2 inch Iron Pipe Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

DTAZ

Reaction score
I am channeling for above counter outlets in a kitchen remodel in a 1940 home and accidentally cut into the wall of the iron vent pipe from my kitchen sink. It's 1 1/2 inch galvanized pipe and embedded in the brickwork of the exterior walls. I probably cut a bit less than 1/16 inch and not through to the inside of the pipe. To what degree do I need to be concerned? Can it be repaired superficially or will it rust though at the nicks and cause a problem later?

A secondary concern: the setup has two drain lines oriented vertically. My intention is to cut through the vent above the highest drain outlet and run the rest of the line in ABS to sewer. The vent line makes a 90 degree turn right above the drain inlets and runs horizontal below a window opening for about 3 feet before turning 90 degrees again to run through a wall to the roof line. The kitchen sink I removed was draining through the lower inlet and the upper inlet was capped off. When I took the cap off of the upper drain stub, it was packed full of rusty debris and small roaches. After seeing that I'm concerned it might be best to replace the horizontal run of vent but I'd rather not get into that much demolition unless it's absolutely necessary. Suggestions? First the dealing with the accident and then the discovery of the disused drain stub full of crap.

See attached images below:

Attachments

• IMG_6412.JPG
    IMG_6412.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_6413.JPG
    IMG_6413.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_6414.JPG
    IMG_6414.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_6415.JPG
    IMG_6415.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_6416.JPG
    IMG_6416.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_6417.JPG
    IMG_6417.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Can it be repaired superficially or will it rust though at the nicks and cause a problem later?
Even with no repair, you are probably fine. You could fill that with something such as J-B Weld epoxy. The unused part will be useful for other things later.

I have nothing for the secondary.

DTAZ

Reaction score
Even with no repair, you are probably fine. You could fill that with something such as J-B Weld epoxy. The unused part will be useful for other things later.

I have nothing for the secondary.

Thanks for the reply. I am planning to inspect the horizontal run of pipe to see if there is debris in it. If not, I'll leave well enough alone. I'm just concerned that it has potentially been rusting for 60+ years.

Reach4

Reaction score
The place where the kitchen drain switches from vertical to horizontal is a good place for clogs. That fitting today would be a long sweep 90, but in the past a smaller radius fitting may have been used.

In your modifications, consider putting in a cleanout that would make cleaning that easier. That can be done with a snake. I like the Brasscraft drain bladder if you have access. You put it on the end of a garden hose, shove it down, and turn on the water. It swells to seal the pipe, and then expels water. It even vibrates the water.

DTAZ

Reaction score
The place where the kitchen drain switches from vertical to horizontal is a good place for clogs. That fitting today would be a long sweep 90, but in the past a smaller radius fitting may have been used.

In your modifications, consider putting in a cleanout that would make cleaning that easier. That can be done with a snake. I like the Brasscraft drain bladder if you have access. You put it on the end of a garden hose, shove it down, and turn on the water. It swells to seal the pipe, and then expels water. It even vibrates the water.

Just to be clear, the horizontal run I am talking about is a vent and above the level of both drain inlets. The bend is a tight 90 degree ell and not a sweep. You wouldn't need to use a sweep for a vent today either would you?

DTAZ

Reaction score

Also, there is a cleanout and I will keep it for sure.

Reach4

Reaction score
You wouldn't need to use a sweep for a vent today either would you?
No. But I was thinking that while doing vent work above a santee, you could consider adding an easy-to-use cleanout that would allow dropping a snake or drain bladder from above down into the drain below.

There are two big horizontal pipes in your IMG_6413.JPG photo. The top one with the cap may be a cleanout. However I am confident that a drain bladder could not be directed down from there. Maybe even a large snake would have trouble turning down. So if you were doing work there anyway, a higher wye cleanout, that directed a snake down, might be easy enough to put in.

DTAZ

Reaction score
No. But I was thinking that while doing vent work above a santee, you could consider adding an easy-to-use cleanout that would allow dropping a snake or drain bladder from above down into the drain below.

There are two big horizontal pipes in your IMG_6413.JPG photo. The top one with the cap may be a cleanout. However I am confident that a drain bladder could not be directed down from there. Maybe even a large snake would have trouble turning down. So if you were doing work there anyway, a higher wye cleanout, that directed a snake down, might be easy enough to put in.

I see your point. Not sure if the upper pipe was intended as a cleanout or not. There is also an existing cleanout that is not visible in the posted images. It's facing toward the outside of the house and below the level of all of my drain inlets. It allows for a cleaning the pipes in the direction of a long horizontal run through the crawl space under my house.

DTAZ

Reaction score
I see your point. Not sure if the upper pipe was intended as a cleanout or not. There is also an existing cleanout that is not visible in the posted images. It's facing toward the outside of the house and below the level of all of my drain inlets. It allows for a cleaning the pipes in the direction of a long horizontal run through the crawl space under my house.

DTAZ

Reaction score

End of story: The threads on the horizontal run of iron vent were rotted through right where it joined the drain stack and the entire section was a luxury condo for roaches. It's out and both of my considerations are now moot. I cut it off at the base of my vertical run of iron which, by visual inspection, is solid material all the way to the roof line. There will be new ABS in place of the iron by the end of the day. I would have come to regret not replacing it in fairly short order so my accident was a lucky break in disguise...

Thanks for the input nonetheless.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks