AC Fan birdcage screw stripped

Users who are viewing this thread

Ddagsyn

Reaction score
I removed the fan (birdcage) on top of my carrier AC to hose down the evaporator coil as i had a lot of debris due to the hurriance and noticed that two of the screws to secure the birdcage to the unit would not tighten. It seems that the hole is stripped. What can i do to fix this?
Please any suggestions
Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might be able to drill it out and tap to the next larger screw size. Before you drill, make sure you have the proper sized drillbit for the tap. An alternative would be to put in a helicoil, but that requires yet a bigger hole and the tools to install the helicoil.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
1. Drilling the cage part larger so that a larger self tapping screw can be used.

2. Adding a "clip nut" and use a machine screw.

3. Adding a backside (somehow) nut and use a machine screw.

4. Ignore the problem. Sometimes just having the screw in the hole is good enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks