Absolutley no access to bathtub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

lasparky

Reaction score
The bathtub has no access. It is on the ground floor- opposide wall is block. I see smell dampness and I know I have SEE what's going on but I can't. I'd hate to take the entire job apart because the tile job looks very professional-and to be honest I can't afford it right now. We bought the house less than 2 years ago and the home inspection did not reveal this defect. Has anyone ever just cut an access door into the side of a fiberglass bathtub? I am thinking a 12inx 12in doorlike access. Help!:confused::confused:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
find someone with a ridgid Micro snake. All You need is a 3/4"hole. could plug with a chrome spring cab if You're wrong. love mine

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion…

Just a suggestion…

If I am understanding the layout of the tub, the valve/drain assembly is up against a block wall. It maybe possible to cut out a section of the block wall and install a steel access door there. This way, you could see what’s going on with the possible leak, and have access to the area for days to come. Be careful that the area to be cut out isn’t solid grouted. (this can be checked by drilling a small hole in the grout joint). When removing the block, be prepared to jam some foam up in the top of the cell, because it could be filled up with insulation, which flows like water, and the cell will empty quickly.
The “ridgid Micro snake†might be the ticket; I’ve just never worked with one before.

Mike

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you probably got troubles

Mikebarone has about the best idea...

make an access from the back side to see what
is going on, even if this is out in the back yard,

be careful to avoid any water lines in the block wall

then cover it with an access door...

plant some flowers in front of it if need be...

the reason is,

most likely the drian trap has rotted off already
and the whole tub trap basin is now working
like a glorfied cesspool..... standing full of funky bath water....
seeping down into the slab pea-gravel..

useing the micro snake sounds good,
but I have broken the trap off before myself in that same situation....

if you just have an old brass p-trap down in that hole
it will surely break when the cable hits it...

then its the "crying game" for sure....

you really dont want that

Last edited:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Lasparkey here it is

Toolup.com, cheapest price. Ridgid 25643 Seesnake Micro inspection camera
$ 194.99 . Ialso use it in walls to check Elec. It is 3 ft. long with extensions at 3' each. I bought one extension for around $49.00 = 6' reach.
We all discuss this tool over at The Ridgid plumbing forum. good luck

lasparky

Reaction score
I so much appreciate you advice. I'm sure the water line is in the concrete block as I can also see the vent in that area-which is a corner. This is a question asked from ignorance but have you ever seen a fiberglass tub that has an access door cut thru the side? It seems that as long as we do not cut into the inner basin and stay towards the end where the plumbing is located we can get hands in there to repair the problem. (The bottom of the tub seems to carry most of the weight.) Will this do great damge to the tub? We just need some time before we are able to invest a few thousand dollars on demolishing the tile surround in order to remove the bathtub or worse yet hire someone to cut thru the brick and possible cut thru water lines.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Dont Cut The Tub

you really dont want to cut the side of the fiberglass tub....

it wont accomplish anything....

except ruin the tub....

can you attack the drain from that back side of the tub
or is it block walls there too??

as far as water lines, they might come up through the block
walls, and they might not....

Construct30

Reaction score
If you go to a box store and take a look at how a fiberglass tub is built that is the same as yours, you will find a hole in the side will not give you access in most cases. You must come in from the end unfortunatley, even the back usually won't help other than to possibly see, but you can't work from there. Figure out how to make the access on the end, chop it don't cut it and you can get past any possible water pipes. The goal is not just to see, but to be able to fix anything you might find.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would first check what you can without destroying anything through the escutchens for the mixer and make sure the overflow plate has a gasket and is tight. Next I would use the Ridgid Micro See Snake http://www.ridgid.com/seesnakemicro/

I always like to know what I'm opening a wall up to fix and the See Snake Micro will probably go in through a removed escutchen to see the problem. This tools is another of Gods gifts to plumbers that we have gotten in the last couple of years. Worth every penny!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks