ABS overflow shoe and Plumbers Putty

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by agrippina, May 19, 2021.

1. agrippina

agrippina New Member

Hello,

I am planning to replace a tub overflow shoe (ABS) and to install a new one. I am thinking about of using plumbers putty to seal the tub drain but a small amount of putty will get between the drain's threads and shoe's threads. As a result, some putty will get in a contact with ABS material. I've read on the internet that it is not recommended to use putty with ABS but I would like to get an opinion from a professional plumber. Will there be a negative impact of the plumbers putty on ABS in a long run? If yes, can I use a PVC overflow shoe (no glue) and the rest parts are made of ABS?

Thank you

2. Weekend Handyman

Weekend Handyman Member

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. agrippina

agrippina New Member

5. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

The putty doesn't "seal" the tub it prevents water from going past the stopper into the shoe. The tub drain is sealed from between the shoe and the tub with a rubber washer. Putty is used because it takes up space between 2 imperfect materials. And as mentioned in the above linked article, there are putties designed to not discolor materials the're placed on.

6. agrippina

agrippina New Member

Thank you for your recommendation.