ABS overflow shoe and Plumbers Putty

Users who are viewing this thread

agrippina

Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning to replace a tub overflow shoe (ABS) and to install a new one. I am thinking about of using plumbers putty to seal the tub drain but a small amount of putty will get between the drain's threads and shoe's threads. As a result, some putty will get in a contact with ABS material. I've read on the internet that it is not recommended to use putty with ABS but I would like to get an opinion from a professional plumber. Will there be a negative impact of the plumbers putty on ABS in a long run? If yes, can I use a PVC overflow shoe (no glue) and the rest parts are made of ABS?

Thank you

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The putty doesn't "seal" the tub it prevents water from going past the stopper into the shoe. The tub drain is sealed from between the shoe and the tub with a rubber washer. Putty is used because it takes up space between 2 imperfect materials. And as mentioned in the above linked article, there are putties designed to not discolor materials the're placed on.

agrippina

Reaction score
The putty doesn't "seal" the tub it prevents water from going past the stopper into the shoe. The tub drain is sealed from between the shoe and the tub with a rubber washer. Putty is used because it takes up space between 2 imperfect materials. And as mentioned in the above linked article, there are putties designed to not discolor materials the're placed on.

Thank you for your recommendation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks