Above the floor drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Viking

Reaction score
New guy here.

I have what may be a silly question, but have not found any info, about an above the floor drain.

I know that a tub with this type of drain has a few inches of clearance rather than a fraction of an inch. And I know that the drain tail (?) goes through the sill on the wall. But it does ultimately need to go through the floor for a trap, doesn't it? How far from the tub before it must?

Again, sorry for what may be a simple question, but I can't find any info. Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The drain "tail" either goes down into the floor to the trap, or it goes into the wall and THEN turns down to the trap. HOW it is installed depends on a lot of factors, many unique to the specific building. The only reason for the "above the floor" drain is so that you only have to cut a small hole in the concrete floor for the trap riser.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks